Mactan or Moalboal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kannjihyun

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi Guys,

If you only have one day, what would you pick between diving in Mactan or Moalboal.

I will spend 3 days in Malapascua, 1 day in Oslob, and still cannot decide whether I will go to Mactan or Moalboal.

Is there still sardine run at Pascador island this year?

Hi,

Given the way your schedule looks... I would go to Moalboal if you dont mind the extra 4 or so hours on the road. Moalboal has some great walls with great turtle action and offcourse Pescador is a sight to see. There has been chatter on Facebook that the Sardines are back at Pescador Island but Personally I cannot confirm this report as of the moment.

There is a Ball of sardines in mactan as well just not as grand as the sardine ball found at pescador in the past but it is followed closely by a ball of mackerel as well so that is nice.

Both places offer excellent diving it would just boil down to how much longer you are willing to sit in that van or bus for an extra day of diving. Another thing to consider though is you would be hard pressed to find an operator willing to take a solo diver out to mactan's best sights for a day of diving without incurring a large extra cost. While the operators in Moalboal will only be too willing to take you to pescador and if your alone there will be a fair boat surcharge collected.

All that being said... if i were to plan this trip I would go Malapascua-moalboal-oslob-cebu in that order. If Mactan is your choice then I would go Malapascua-Oslob-Mactan. Hope this helps.

While Moalboal isn't high up on my list of Philippines dive destinations, it certainly hands down beats the diving on Mactan, which is average at best. Personally, with as little time as you have I'd skip both and give yourself an extra day diving in a great place like Malapascua

Thanks for all of your suggestions. I might not be able to travel to Philippines so often, and just want to try few different style of the dive site. Heard that they might stop feeding the sharks in Oslob soon, so whale shark watching is a must. Thresher shark is also on my checklist. I think I will try to give it a try at Pescador island to see if the sardines has come back. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom