Machining Ideas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gauges for checking food size (lobsters: abalone;etc) Din plugs; Adapters (for spearguns and for regs); Tools (spanner wrench: holders ect)
I think you have a good list from all of the people! Post some pics if you make any thing!
See you topside! John

Yea except all that is already available from sources that sell for pennies on his dollar!

how about heatsinks for LED maglight conversions? Packhorse does some mind-blowing lathecraftery for his custom lights on the forums. check out this dormant site for some ideas for canister light parts. (look they even have a backplate drawing for your fabbing pleasure!)

A heatsink with proper spaces for 1 or 3 LEDs (e.g. P7 on star PCB) + reflectors and space for the regulator circuit that is designed to fit in a maglite D cell head could be sold as a drop-in module. Or you could just make a completely bespoke light head from scratch.

Attachments

• Tesla-6-2.jpg
    Tesla-6-2.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 142
Yea except all that is already available from sources that sell for pennies on his dollar!

Yes, I understand that although the IDEA was for experience. ! I am surely not giving you an original idea.:crafty:
See you topside! John

How about converting a Scubapro Mk7 (First) to accept a replaceable yoke or DIN retainer. Mk7s have an integral yoke which, on older models, is too light for modern tanks so they are next to worthless. If you are interested, I can provide an old Mk7 (or 2) and a yoke with yoke retainer to work with.

I am willing to make parts that are accessories only. However if I do make a part for the breathing system of Scuba, I may produce a waiver to cover myself from any accidents (as all that I am making is merely experimental and for a few extra bucks on the side.)

I will have to take a look, I am loving my new major and can't wait to start making some of my own stuff.

You seem like a solid guy Steve and I am fine with any waiver. If it's machined to an oval vs. nice and round you'd get leaking and it would be obvious in the first few dives. As always user error produces more odds of a bad leak; not taking care of the O-rings which many people do. The meg is very flood tolerant with T-pieces and over the shoulder counter lungs. That is one of the last things I worry about.

We were in a large part joking about titanium and stainless might be better for the job. The 2nd stages get hit with 150psi of 40% nitrox max so 10ATA(.40)=4ATA of O2. Inherently you would only find a max of 1.6-2ATA inside the rebreather canister, and the puff of O2 that comes of of the solenoid is limited in the same fashion as the 2nd stage which is 10ATA of O2, but that is right at the orafice at the solenoid and inches from the canister; it immediately dissipates into a large space.

Now if you look at those Titianium body first stages, they get hit with the full force of the tank 3000psi at 40% or 3000psi/14.7psi= 204ATA. 204ATA(.40 Nitrox) = 81ATA of O2 getting stuffed into a very small area of the first stage and that means adiabatic heating. Now you might start having problems. Lots of O2, heat and add the last piece of the triangle, fuel (lube or oil) and you have a spark, one hot enough to set off the Titanium and you have a real problem on your hands.

Be sure to post up when you go diving as well. There are plenty of people who dive off NJ and Dutch Springs this way. I'm not sure where you're located.

Good luck with school.

-matt

(and all the rebreathers out there are experimental outside of the Navy MK15-16 and even that's a stretch!)

Funny timing about the backplate idea, I just made and tested y first backplate this weekend. I started with a length of 8" PVC pipe, melted it in the oven, and molded it against someone else's backplate. The webbing holes were cut on a milling machine while the webbing itself came fro liesurepro for ~$26.00 plus shipping. I tried it yesterday without the wing and LOVED it. No more jacket for me!

Id have to agree there, i cut titanium now and again at work, and we have to move away from piercing it with from liquid 02 to liquid N2 as the assistance gasses, has a tendancy to have minor explosions with the 02.

I have just cut some bp out of ss and ali as we speak, ali os off getting annodised and ss will get a polish treament also. Will see if i can up load some pics soon when they are complete.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom