Machining Ideas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am thinking about a device that controls descent rate, ascent rate, and neutral buoyancy. Think of it like an automobile cruise control.

It will likely be composed of measuring devices, push buttons, intergrated circuits, a display, and small precision mechanical sub assemblies. It will be housed in injection molded plastic. After the return of the capital investment it will sell for less than $50.

Prior to the production tools there will be a lot of machining. All parts will be made from 3d solid computer models.

This is where a person like yourself would come into the picture.

You are traveling a path I have been on for many years. After the ideas, come the design, then comes the development (machining etc)

If you would like to set your targets high, check out this video.

It starts to kick-ass at about 7 minutes into it

Last edited:
how about heatsinks for LED maglight conversions? Packhorse does some mind-blowing lathecraftery for his custom lights on the forums. check out this dormant site for some ideas for canister light parts. (look they even have a backplate drawing for your fabbing pleasure!)

A heatsink with proper spaces for 1 or 3 LEDs (e.g. P7 on star PCB) + reflectors and space for the regulator circuit that is designed to fit in a maglite D cell head could be sold as a drop-in module. Or you could just make a completely bespoke light head from scratch.

You just mean a heatsink that would mount on the exterior and use the water to cool down the light?

You seem like a solid guy Steve and I am fine with any waiver. If it's machined to an oval vs. nice and round you'd get leaking and it would be obvious in the first few dives. As always user error produces more odds of a bad leak; not taking care of the O-rings which many people do. The meg is very flood tolerant with T-pieces and over the shoulder counter lungs. That is one of the last things I worry about.

We were in a large part joking about titanium and stainless might be better for the job. The 2nd stages get hit with 150psi of 40% nitrox max so 10ATA(.40)=4ATA of O2. Inherently you would only find a max of 1.6-2ATA inside the rebreather canister, and the puff of O2 that comes of of the solenoid is limited in the same fashion as the 2nd stage which is 10ATA of O2, but that is right at the orafice at the solenoid and inches from the canister; it immediately dissipates into a large space.

Now if you look at those Titianium body first stages, they get hit with the full force of the tank 3000psi at 40% or 3000psi/14.7psi= 204ATA. 204ATA(.40 Nitrox) = 81ATA of O2 getting stuffed into a very small area of the first stage and that means adiabatic heating. Now you might start having problems. Lots of O2, heat and add the last piece of the triangle, fuel (lube or oil) and you have a spark, one hot enough to set off the Titanium and you have a real problem on your hands.

Be sure to post up when you go diving as well. There are plenty of people who dive off NJ and Dutch Springs this way. I'm not sure where you're located.

Good luck with school.

-matt

(and all the rebreathers out there are experimental outside of the Navy MK15-16 and even that's a stretch!)

I had no idea you were located in Philly. I am from Lebanon (Near good 'ol Lancaster), go to school in Williamsport, Pa, and was JUST in Philly this weekend visiting my girlfriend at Temple.

Funny timing about the backplate idea, I just made and tested y first backplate this weekend. I started with a length of 8" PVC pipe, melted it in the oven, and molded it against someone else's backplate. The webbing holes were cut on a milling machine while the webbing itself came fro liesurepro for ~$26.00 plus shipping. I tried it yesterday without the wing and LOVED it. No more jacket for me!

You have any pictures of the process/finished product? Sounds really awesome.

I am thinking about a device that controls descent rate, ascent rate, and neutral buoyancy. Think of it like an automobile cruise control.

It will likely be composed of measuring devices, push buttons, intergrated circuits, a display, and small precision mechanical sub assemblies. It will be housed in injection molded plastic. After the return of the capital investment it will sell for less than $50.

Prior to the production tools there will be a lot of machining. All parts will be made from 3d solid computer models.

This is where a person like yourself would come into the picture.

You are traveling a path I have been on for many years. After the ideas, come the design, then comes the development (machining etc)

If you would like to set your targets high, check out this video.

It starts to kick-ass at about 7 minutes into it

That video was amazing, I can't wait to jump on the CNC in a few semesters and see what I can really make.

I think (know) it may have taken a little more time then Ten Mins. BTW I am a machinist! 1st Class
See you topside! John

i just bought my own mill and been working on some great pony bottle brackets(my own design) ill post up some pics soon. i want to make a canister light,wreck spools-reels, the prybar idea is cool,thinking about lights hand held brackets. keep up the good work

I think (know) it may have taken a little more time then Ten Mins. BTW I am a machinist! 1st Class
See you topside! John

Yeah...A LOT more! Lights out machining for a couple days at least I would think.

i just bought my own mill and been working on some great pony bottle brackets(my own design) ill post up some pics soon. i want to make a canister light,wreck spools-reels, the prybar idea is cool,thinking about lights hand held brackets. keep up the good work

This is what I hope to do after getting this major and settling into a career and a set lifestyle. To be able to make my own stuff as I please and even sell stuff for small profit on the side, would be awesome!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom