MacDive and Oceanic VT3 help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Souvy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I just picked up a cable for my VT3 in the hopes of downloading my dive data to my Mac and have not had any luck yet. I have the latest version of MacDive (1.5.2) and have downloaded the FDTI driver as per the instructions on the MacDive website. I have also selected a serial port in the preferences. When I connect the cable to the computer and try to import the data, I get the message "error contacting dive computer". I am sure I am just missing something simple, but I would really appreciate any help anyone could offer. Thank you very much in advance.

Are you putting the computer in PC compatibility mode?

Do you have the correct cable? (Don't know if you bought the cable or computer new or not)

The cable and computer were both purchased new. The cable is super-finicky, but I have been able to get the VT3 into PC mode and get the PC 120 countdown. When I try to import the data, I get the start up screen on the VT3 and the same error, "error contacting dive computer". The start up screen remains for a few seconds, then the VT3 goes back into surface mode.

The cable and computer were both purchased new. The cable is super-finicky, but I have been able to get the VT3 into PC mode and get the PC 120 countdown. When I try to import the data, I get the start up screen on the VT3 and the same error, "error contacting dive computer". The start up screen remains for a few seconds, then the VT3 goes back into surface mode.

Sorry, I didn't see this thread - I think it's you I'm talking to over email though.

For what it's worth, you're better posting in the macdive thread in this subforum because I'm subscribed to it, so I'll get an email update (or just emailing me direct).

Do you have any dives on it ?

Edit: To clarify I mean in the future, for anyone who wants help, to post in the existing thread - simply because I'm more likely to notice it faster.

t0w, it is me you have been e-mailing with, thank you so much for the excellent support! I have about 25 dives or so on it.

t0w, it is me you have been e-mailing with, thank you so much for the excellent support! I have about 25 dives or so on it.

Based on your email and checking the serial port, it looks like the driver is installed correctly. What you're doing sounds pretty much right - plug the VT3 in, it hits PC mode with the countdown, and that's when you try importing.

Unfortunately I'm at work right now, with no access to my mac. I have a program I will send you when I get home, but that's not going to be for a few hours.

One thing I would suggest though, is to unplug the VT3, leave it for a few minutes, and make sure to reboot your machine. Then try again once your machine is back up. I'm not sure it'll help, but I've had problems with my Geo before where sometimes it just needed to be left unplugged for a few minutes to sort itself out.

I have a MacBook, and MacBook Pro. Oddly, I had exactly the same problem. Try using a different USB port on the Mac. Don't ask me why it only "mapped" to one particular USB port. Anyway, it worked.

Whenever I use the program, I always have to rescan the ports before selecting one to use, or it just fails. That's with a Mares Puck and Drak interface though.

Whenever I use the program with my Vyper Air, It always fails on the first try. What seems to work for me is to firmly hold the computer interface contacts against the contacts for the USB cable and retry.

Back
Top Bottom