Mabuhay (tagalog~english translation)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Back in the early 90s when I worked in Jeddah, I had a Philippine Dive Guide book published by Asian Diver magazine (pub 1993). At the back of it are a few pages of some useful words / phrases.

What amused me was the inclusion of "Bawal umihi dito"

At the time I worked in a hospital laboratory and had around 18 Filipina staff, so I printed this out and stuck it above the wash hand basin for a laugh one evening when nobody was around.

Nobody suspected me, and there was much maikling sulit chat regarding who put the sign up for several days before I mentioned something about the phrase at a social event involving a pot plant at somebody's house.

"bawal umihi dito" would be applicable in a dive boat

but realize "umihi" helps in reducing your nitrogen loading !

Okay, please excuse spelling, and that this is Visayan, not Tagalog, any help or clarification would be appreciated.

While in different parts of Cebu, I tried to perfect
'My friend will pay for everything'
Different areas recognised basics, some got the whole sentence, others laughed, but more out of confusion and my pathetic attempt at Cebuano than anything else.
Are either of these acceptable? what are the grammatical differences between the two?
'Ako migo/miga mabayad sa tanan'
'Ako migo/miga bayad tanan'

Also I would love some clarification on the more regional 'jokey' phrase from Mapapascua/northern Cebu
which I think translates as 'talk to' but means something like 'don't talk like that' 'don't say that'
'Estorya e' .....

Thanks,
Nic

Okay, please excuse spelling, and that this is Visayan, not Tagalog, any help or clarification would be appreciated.

While in different parts of Cebu, I tried to perfect
'My friend will pay for everything'
Different areas recognised basics, some got the whole sentence, others laughed, but more out of confusion and my pathetic attempt at Cebuano than anything else.
Are either of these acceptable? what are the grammatical differences between the two?
'Ako migo/miga mabayad sa tanan'
'Ako migo/miga bayad tanan'

Also I would love some clarification on the more regional 'jokey' phrase from Mapapascua/northern Cebu
which I think translates as 'talk to' but means something like 'don't talk like that' 'don't say that'
'Estorya e' .....

Thanks,
Nic

The proper phrase would be "Akong amigo/amiga mubayad sa tanan"

your second phrase 'Ako migo/miga bayad tanan' is the rough equivalent of how stereotypical cavemen would speak "friend pay everything"

'Estorya e' .....

Thanks,
Nic

You are referring to the word "Istoryahe" used mainly as a retort which carries a humorous edge in response to an obvious fib or boast.

It literally means "tell me a story" which when injected with tone and verbal punctuation results in a rough equivalent of English's "YEAH RIGHTTTT"

example:

man 1: Ni inom ko gabii ug walo ka botilya nga Red Horse, wala gani ko na hubog. (translate: I drank eight bottles of Red Horse beer last night, but I didn't get drunk.)

man 2: ISTORYAHE!! (Yeah right!!)

Ahaha, thanks for the exceptionally thorough clarification.
If we ever meet I'll definitely buy you a Red Horse.

Nic

Back
Top Bottom