M/V Conception stolen!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

madsci

Registered
Reaction score
The 79' dive boat Conception, belonging to Truth Aquatics of Santa Barbara, was stolen early this morning. I'm still trying to find more information, but from what little I'm hearing at the moment apparently the Conception ran aground on Vandenberg Air Force Base while the Coast Guard was in pursuit by helicopter. A manhunt is still in progress for the perpetrator(s). I'll post any more information I find.

http://www.truthaquatics.com/conception.htm

Why would anyone steal a dive boat? The things stand out like a sore thumb.

Who ever said that a thief has the brains to reason that out? If he had half a brain, he likely wouldn't be a thief in the first place.

How many casual boaters would actually have the ability to start and operate a boat of this size? I've been on the Conception's sister vessel, Vision, a few times... I've seen the pilot house and the engine room, and I wouldn't have a clue how to even get the thing started.

How could you expect to make a getaway at 14 knots? Where would you go? What would you DO with a boat that size? You can't exactly load it on a trailer and drive off.

But then Santa Barbara's never been short of crazy people...

archman:
Many years ago a dive boat was stolen from Habitat Curacao and turned up on a beach - in Columbia if I recall correctly - with a hole in the hull. Pretty obvious, a 42' Newton with "Habitat Curacao" and dive flags painted all over it. I don't know why it was stolen, but I know what I'd guess...

As they told the story, they got a call from Columbian police along the lines of "um, are you missing a boat?" We were there not long after they got it back. It was sporting a big unpainted patch on the side - and a "club" on the wheel.

My guess is that this was an intentional grounding. The Coast Guard was in pursuit at the time, and you're not going to outrun anything in that boat. They probably just headed for shore and started running. There's a lot of uninhabited area around there, but there are also half a dozen helicopters on the base, with some on patrol all the time. And lots of young, trigger-happy Security Forces folks with M-16s.

i just got off the conception on sunday after 3 days in the channel islands..and i'm booked on another trip in august on her, hope they get her back in good condition

Back
Top Bottom