Lynx: lot lot to like but few Hmm's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pay to upgrade? Didn't these things just get released? What's the upgrade?

I'm a new Lynx owner and in my few dives I observed the same things and completely agree with the recommendations as stated.
1. Tap left or right to access compass. Bonus would be vertical tap in compass to set or remove heading and reciprocal.
2. Ability to turn on and off deep (optional) safety stops.
3. Put a tolerance time on (either user adjustable or not) when the divers comes out of the safety stop range in order to not reset. I am in the cap with others that I shoot for 17-19 feet on my stops and at times if you slip to 21 to deal with an issue it is very frustrating.
4. Change the 700psi zero time to be user adjustable. Remaining time should count down to have zero be at the reserve pressure. This should be a user adjustable field. No need to complicate it with different pressures for depth, just a simple remaining air time counting down to whatever reserve pressure the user sets.
5. I have not had the turn on issue yet but it is still early with the unit.
6. I agree with others that no audible alarms is a major negative but unfortunately that does appear to be something that could be resolved with the current hardware.

Right now I'm testing the unit to see if it is a keeper and if we'll be getting one for my wife or if it ends up on E-bay. I'm hoping that some of these things are taken to heart as resolved because certainly #1, #3, #4, and #6 are really big issues that almost all other dive computers anywhere near the price range handle better.

Pay to upgrade? Didn't these things just get released? What's the upgrade?

All aluminum transmitter.

I am not aware of an upgrade program, if they had one I would do it if I could but not because of problems because I have not had any problems with mine but I do like the idea of a stronger transmitter housing.

I know Eric watches this forum, maybe he will chime in about this.

Paul

Hi everyone, I am a Canadian diver who lives only about 30 minutes from where these LV computers are made, hence one of the reasons I chose to buy one. Anyhow, here are two emails that I have forwarded to my LDS, that they in turn have forwarded on to LV and I am anxiously awaiting a reply. I will keep you posted on any developments. PS - The Roatan trip that I speak of in the email is the Scubaboard Invasion that is coming up, although I am going down a week early to maximize on airfare from Canada - must stay two weeks <grin!>

Email of March 21/14
As per your request, here is an update about my initial thoughts/issues with my new Lynx.

History: Up until now I have used an Oceanic VT3 wireless AI computer, so I do have plenty of dive experience with AI wireless computers however none with Liquidvision.

I have been having a few problems with the transmitter. It does not register on the Lynx immediately upon turning on my tank with the psi and I have to wait several buzzes from the transmitter in order for it to show. Also I have to wave the computer around near the top of the tank (I think?). I don't know why it seems to be having transmitter errors on land, but it does. Also, when I am walking to the water often the Lynx itself will shut down as too much time has passed between me turning it on for the pre-dive check and splash time and once again, it shows "no sig" - no signal aka no psi reading. Once I have splashed, this hasn't been a problem and upon descending, the transmitter has forwarded the information to the Lynx and it has it on the display again. To my knowledge, I have not lost reading during a dive (I have only done 2 so far).

Other issues I am concerned about is the length of time that the batteries last in the Lynx itself and the transmitter. I was only supplied with two white rechargeables, one big blue for the transmitter (which is in my transmitters now), and 5 small blues. Unless I constantly stock up on the disposables and use one disposable and one rechargable at a time, I will be fine, however if I dive how I wish (which is using only rechargables) and do a day with 5 dives, then I am going to have to swap out the white rechargables for sure. I don't want to have to rely on disposables (due to cost and I don't want to have to cart a bunch of batteries with me on holidays OR on dives on a boat - not being able to charge inbetween) but if I do not, I run the risk of not having a dive computer half way through my day that shows my psi. 10 hours on a white battery for the Lynx, I do not know how long for the transmitter, but with one white rechargable in each, I am stuck buying more to use them as two will not be enough.

Anyhow, I am going to do 4 dives this weekend and put both rechargables in my Lynx and transmitter and see if I can have green power bar on both for the two days. I really need my dive computer to last for a full day of diving, which at times can include up to five dives (if I am blue water diving).

In summary at this point, pretty disappointed so far in this whole battery usage goes... very concerned about the transmitter problems, not even sure if I have any options for fixing either of the issues. I am leaving for Roatan Easter long weekend and my 1st matter of concern is that this transmitter is acting up and I don't have a 2nd HP port on my 1st stage to attach an regular SPG. So if my transmitters stops showing my air during a dive, this is going to be a problem. Thankfully, I still have my VT3 (but can't use the transmitter due to only one HP port), but I will have a back-up computer. Not having access to my psi though is concerning and not safe at all. I am going to bring my VT3 and other transmitter to Roatan with me just in case as I don't have any confidence in this new very expensive computer at all. Wish I loved it as much as I love my new DUI. It shouldn't be this hard.

Please advise how much a two pack of the white rechargeable batteries are and also two more of the big blue batteries (disposable) for the transmitter. I did see the option to purchase an extender for the transmitter and use rechargables for it, but it is about another $500 through LV. Crazy add-on price for what it is. Pretty frustrated right now.

Yikes, you asked me to send this in an email and I type really fast - so this was the result.

Thanks.

March 21, 2014 - Email in response from LDS was that recipient is away and my email was forwarded to LV for a response.

March 24, 2014 - My further email to LDS of today's date after diving this past weekend with the Lynx.
I just called the shop as I wanted to speak with you and I was advised you aren't in today. I am sending an email instead. I dove with my Lynx 4 times over the weekend and my concerns are greater still and will need to be addressed ASAP. Unfortunately , there is a deadline - I am leaving for Roatan on April 18, 2014 and only have this upcoming weekend for cold water diving before I leave, so we are going to have to keep that in mind. I don't know for sure how to solve the problem and I will leave it up to you to offer some solutions or pick something that will work for everybody.

MAJOR problem - Lynx either takes VERY long to indicate psi/battery on the surface or DOES NOT AT ALL until I splash (I had both instances during my dives). The Lynx cannot be dove the way it is in the way I dive for the main reason because I don't have a 2nd HP port on my 1st stage so I have no alternative way to measure my air pressure nor do I know how much battery is left on my transmitter aka enough power (green light) to get me through the dive. If I only dove two times a day, I could charge the transmitter battery up every night and KNOW that it was fresh and ready, but that isn't the case as when I go on holidays as I often dive 5x a day. I NEED to know that my transmitter battery is good to go before I splash and I need to know my psi BEFORE I splash too. I need the reassurance that all is running smoothly before I splash obviously. :)

While I am diving here in BC at familiar shore sites, or on familiar boats nearby (with familiar practices, etc), and most importantly, familiar buddies with similar air consumption, then I can kind of use them as a guideline if I don't have a transmitter signal. However, when I am diving tropical with my boyfriend who SIPS air compared to me (he is a rare oddity - thousands of dives under his belt, he's a tec diver), I can't even guess how much air I would have in my tank if my signal were to not show up or drop based on where he is at.

Speaking of signal dropping, it has only dropped once on a dive that I have noticed so far. It was gone for 2 minutes after first noticing it say 'no sig' and then after arm waving (I did know approx how much air I had as I do look every so often), but I don't know how long it had been out prior... anyhow, wasn't fun as I knew I was around the 400 psi mark at the time, kind of wanted to know exactly how 'low' I was. Obviously though I was shallow at the time and just photographing some stuff near the surface but I do like to go up around that air pressure.

Options - not sure if it's just my particular transmitter or Lynx? I am only diving THIS UPCOMING weekend before I go to Roatan and then I am not diving at all again until my holiday. Perhaps we can try another transmitter or a completely different Lynx unit?

Other option - return the thing. I can't dive with it the way it is unfortunately, it is a safety concern not having my air pressure 24/7. I don't really want to go this route though as I do love how visible the screen is and I want wireless AI and I do NEED a redundant computer for my solo course I am doing in Roatan. I can borrow a computer from my boyfriend while we are in Roatan as he has two, but I will need to buy another of my own NOW so if Lynx doesn't work out, I am going to have to look at my other options and I really wanted this one to work out.

Other option - If you have a suitable 1st stage and pressure gauge to swap with mine. I have a Titan LX that I purchased from you guys in 2011, however I understand that in the last year or so they upgraded to two HP ports? Perhaps we could swap my 1st stage for a different one (if you have rentals with 2?) and add an SPG to it as backup and I can keep diving my current Lynx computer and transmitter.

I do need to get this sorted out though this week before the weekend so I can test out whatever solution we come up with before I head off on my holidays. Look forward to hearing from you. I will only be able to pop in on Friday evening after work to arrange whatever it is we've worked out and Saturday AM I am heading to Seattle to dive with the Seattle Buoy Marker Club for the entire weekend (5 dives).

Thanks!!

RESPONSE WAS that recipient at LDS advised he is returning tonight from vacation and will take a look at this. Again, I will keep you all posted on the developments.

Jody

Last edited:
Holy cow, that is quite the list of problems! I used to deal with that shop when I lived in Vancouver and always thought highly of the owner so I would guess that he will get you sorted. I know next to nothing about Lv, but like you I have used a Aeris (pelagic) Ai computer for many years with great results. I finally broke down and bought a new computer and decided that Ai is no longer needed for my diving and went with a wrist mount non-Ai tech computer.
I will say that in my opinion no matter how well designed the housing, the more frequently you need to open it up the more likely you are to distrupt the seal and result in a leak. Having to open the computer daily is excessive.

Sent from my SGP311 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Jody

The transmitter doesn't send a signal till 30 seconds after you open the tank valve and it sends a signal every 10 seconds. I found it pairs best if I point one of the lynx receivers at the end of the transmitter, then move the lynx about a foot away.

Have 70 dives on mine so far. Have only lost the signal once. I put the arm wearing the lynx next to the 1st stage for about 20 seconds and it repaired. I have the transmitter pointing upwards, as shown in the Lynx manual. Is this how yours is setup.

With only 1 HP port on your 1st stage it might be time for a new reg set:depressed:

The lynx does chew through the batteries. I turned on autodimming and make sure I shut it down when possible, eg on the boat after inputting gas mixes.

Im on my third T1 transmitter battery. Get into the habit of depressurizing the regs when the dive ends.

Yeah so the battery consumption issue is kind of crazy.

On my do over list is not buy a computer and possible transmitter that dose not have a rechargeable setup. My old requirement was not have one that user replaceable.

Though I think the Lynx only 'just' qualifies as user replaceable give the fragile nature of the pull out tray barely attached wires there :(.
Since getting a the rechargeable kit (sigh) I'm a little less stressed about having spontaneously dead batteries right before a dive and no way to replace or having to haul around a bunch of extra, it seems like even after just a few dives the one the blue batteries would be yellow in transmitter or Lynx.

But now I'm constantly afraid of breaking something when popping the rechargeable in out. I don't think this aspect of the design was well throughout at all, they just kept the same design as from their older units to keep costs down or or the like. I'll take innovation of polish usually but, then usability and reliability has to trump for dive gear.

Jody

The transmitter doesn't send a signal till 30 seconds after you open the tank valve and it sends a signal every 10 seconds. I found it pairs best if I point one of the lynx receivers at the end of the transmitter, then move the lynx about a foot away.

Have 70 dives on mine so far. Have only lost the signal once. I put the arm wearing the lynx next to the 1st stage for about 20 seconds and it repaired. I have the transmitter pointing upwards, as shown in the Lynx manual. Is this how yours is setup.

With only 1 HP port on your 1st stage it might be time for a new reg set:depressed:

The lynx does chew through the batteries. I turned on autodimming and make sure I shut it down when possible, eg on the boat after inputting gas mixes.

Im on my third T1 transmitter battery. Get into the habit of depressurizing the regs when the dive ends.

---------- Post added April 10th, 2014 at 03:56 PM ----------

How about making the compass accessible and setting a heading? This is still the most frustrating thing for me under water. The compass is almost useless for toggling in out of.

Any time lines you can share? I have to admit to being a bit disappointed in the lack of change over the last couple firmware updates. Don't get me wrong, bug fixes are super important but nothing else is getting depressing.

We have already been working on some of these issues; a better safety stop protocol that eliminates the reset if you dip too deep; and showing the TTS even when you are on the bottom. Both these are upcoming in a new software release.

Eric Fattah
Liquivision Products

Also just noticed you loose your no fly time if you take the battery out for charging... That is pretty dam annoying given the grewup any of charging needed on a dive vacation. Hope it's not screwing up the saturation tracking or anything else. Also most comps give a cumulative load % over multiple dives, all we seem to have is the total desat time, CNS never was above 4% even after a week of 3 dives a day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom