Lynx: lot lot to like but few Hmm's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

…The RGBM upgrade will also soon be available for the Lynx and Kaon. …

Will RGBM for Lynx be less expensive than for the Xeo (which supports Trimix)?

…If you prefer to always stop for 1 minute at half your max depth you can easily do that on your own…

It would be nice if you could squeeze Max Depth into the main dive display. It can be small like temperature. The label can be as little as a down arrow or simply “Max”. We used a down arrow against a line/underscore in the commercial diving industry for Max Depth shorthand — should make a good icon. I know it is old school but I use it for reality checks against decompression recommendations.

Last edited:
Yeah actually my first transmitter die on me after one dive in Cozumel (first dive with it, was fine then next morning was dead and new bat would not recesitate). I didn't mention it in my software focused comments and LV took care of it for me when I was back in the states (great CS guys!). I only have 3 dives on the new transmitter but so far so good. I'm calling the first one a fluke.
I have dove with transmitters for like 12 years and that was a first for me. Luckily I had my cobalt along too as as well as a analog psg. Take no chances abroad :).

I have been using the Lynx since Aug and totally support Grifon's user notes and suggestions.

In addition, has anybody experience any issue with their T1 transmitter? Mine stopped working in the middle of my inaugural dive using it (brand new) at Sipadan. On closer examination it, above water, looking into the transparent end of the T1, there appears to be some water swirling inside! The rest of my dives since then was just done without the AI... Very frustrating!

Went out today.
Had a lynx on each wrist.

Wanted to test out a depth variance I had last time. Went down to 100' with two other guys.

All of us at the same point...

Me 100 and 102'
Buddy 1 95 on a pair of vt3.
Buddy 2 96' on a computer console of some type.

Last dive is was off about 7' too.

Should I be concerned over that?

Last edited:
Went out today.
Had a lynx on each wrist.

Wanted to test out a depth variance I had last time. Went down to 100' with two other guys.

All of us at the same point...

Me 100 and 102'
Buddy 1 95 on a pair of vt3.
Buddy 2 96' on a computer console of some type.

Last dive is was off about 7' too.

Is that a problem??

I dive with a Lynx and Oceanic DataMask every dive and their depth readings are within one foot of each other .

Definitely agree with Grifon on each point made. Well said and I find comfort in reading other reviews that share similarities with my own thoughts.

Along with points made above here are some of my cons after 30 dives with my Lynx.

1. Adjusting the time attribute is a real pain. I've calibrated it three or four times following the manual precisely and it still will not keep the correct time.
2. Lost signal. This was never an issue with my Suunto Vyper Air or Galileo Luna. Liquivision says that the "transmitter will work remarkably well even in a totally random mounting". This really isn't true. The positioning / orientation of the Transmitter on the 1st stage has to be exactly right or the signal will not work properly. Proper mounting according to the manual has to be above the shoulder, pointing vertically and at least 3 inches away from the divers body. Unless you completely twist your 1st stage to accommodate the transmitter and get it to an "upright" position an adapter will be needed. The adapter would cost an additional $60 to $100! My question is that if this transmitter is so finicky and has to be in a certain orientation in order to get proper signal than why isn't Liquivision supplying the adapter?

Note: According to the manual the transmitter works "best" when it's mounted to the 1st stage in the upright / vertical position. See page 25, 26 and 144. https://liquivision.com/docs/Lynx_User_Manual.pdf

3. Some of the smaller text can be hard to read for some - still an issue.
4. Locator feature only gets you in the vicinity at around 20 ft. or so. Would be fantastic if it gave approx. location depth as well.
5. Location transmitter is still not available and there hasn't been a real release date for the foreseeable future.
6. Overall per unit cost with air integration = $1400. $1900. if you also get the additional and eventual release of the location transmitter.
(Location transmitter cost could be split between two users which would still make the cost $1650. per unit.) For the price these things should be flawless and just work. Thank goodness for Liquivision's top notch customer service.
7. Sensors on wrist unit have to be totally unobstructed in order to get proper transmitter signal. If you're wearing a drysuit and have say SiTech Antares Rings on, plan to wear the Lynx wrist unit on your forearm. See page 107 & 108. https://liquivision.com/docs/Lynx_User_Manual.pdf

Another item of note. My GF has had to have her wrist unit replaced once and her transmitter replaced. Wrist unit stopped turning on after about 5 dives or so and the transmitter was found to have a hairline crack that caused to unit to flood. Cause = unknown. I've had my transmitter replaced once already for the same reason and am about to bring it in again to have it assessed for loss of signal. On the surface I get signal. At depth, no signal.

Last edited:
Liquivision says that the "transmitter will work remarkably well even in a totally random mounting". This really isn't true. The positioning / orientation of the Transmitter on the 1st stage has to be exactly right or the signal will not work properly.

7. Sensors on wrist unit have to be totally unobstructed in order to get proper transmitter signal.

Some comments:
- The transmitter works great in any random mounting, regarding monitoring your own transmitter. If you find that your particular transmitter does not work in a random mounting, then there is something wrong with the transmitter. Mounting of the transmitter does have some impact on your buddy's ability to get your signal from 100m away, but it virtually no relevance getting your own signal. The ultrasonic signal from your own transmitter is deafening loud at short range (subjectively speaking) as far as the Lynx wrist unit is concerned.
- The sensors on the wrist unit do not have to be unobstructed to get a signal from your transmitter. Again, the signal from your own transmitter is immensely strong. However obstructing the wrist unit sensors *will* affect your ability to read your buddy's signal from a long distance away.

Eric Fattah
Liquivision Products

We appreciate all the feedback. However, if you want/expect real changes to be made, you will need to very specific in terms of what you want the new functionality to be. If you don't like the air time calculation method, you need to tell us what you think a more favorable version would be. Similarly with the safety stop. If you dip below the depth range, you don't want it to reset. So what if you ascend to 15ft, then descend again to 50ft and hang out there for 5 minutes? How long are you allowed to dip below the safety stop depth, and by how far? Once you start to really think about *every* possible permutation of actions a diver could take, it begins to be more clear why the Lynx software operates how it does. That said we are happy to make improvements, but only if the suggested improvements take into account all possible scenarios.

Mr. Fattah,
I think I speak for many here when I say thank you for your participation and dialog in this forum. My input comes from over 20 years of diving, and owning/extensively using 5 different dive computers. Overall, I've said all along (in fact I'm quoted on your web site) that the Lynx is by far the best all around computer that I have ever used.

Having said that, the biggest negatives that stick out for me based on my past experience are the safety stop reset, and getting into/out of the compass.

1. We are able to set a length of time before a dive is logged as a dive, and also before a surface interval is considered a surface interval. Why not the same options for a safety stop? If my Lynx continues to reset immediately if I hit 21 feet, then I will find other options for timing my safety stop. I don't want that, and I would expect that you don't either. After spending some time in a chamber, I did extensive research on safety stops, and I could site research that suggests that 20 ft. might even be better. Let me set 20ft. if I want, and let me set how long/far I can dip below that it will pause before it just resets. *Perfect!*

2. To be honest I thoroughly read and reviewed the manual, and spent some time in the pool before I ever used my Lynx in open water. However, I never realized what an issue getting in and out of the compass would be until I actually needed it at depth. Long story short I ended up using my "real" compass that I always have with me, and I don't see myself using the compass functionality of the Lynx the next time I'm in a situation where I really need it, which will happen again I'm sure. Again, I would expect that you don't want this to be the case as well.

I want to thank you for the excellent customer service I have experienced with Liquivision. I provide service for medical imaging equipment for my day job, so I know how challenging it can be at times. Ryan Smith was the support person that handled the recent issues I had, and I can't think of anything he could have done better than he did. Thanks Ryan!

I'm still waiting for buying a new computer for christmas. I really loved to buy the Lynx, but there are 3main pbs:
1. the safety stop reset as mentionned before
2. the fact that it didn't show you the decco time you have once reached decco limit. Here I'm not talking tec dive, but rec one where when diving around 30m and it's easy to earn a couple of mn of decco because you miss the shot line or your buddy is doing something else, or... with the Lynx you have to wait until the decco level (6m most of time) to discover how long you have! For me it's against safety.
3. there is no audible alarm, as it's when you don't look at your computer that sonmething could go wrong...

So, M Liquidvision, please enhance these point and I will run to buy it.......

We have already been working on some of these issues; a better safety stop protocol that eliminates the reset if you dip too deep; and showing the TTS even when you are on the bottom. Both these are upcoming in a new software release.

Eric Fattah
Liquivision Products

Back
Top Bottom