LX10 / LX100ii / RX100 VII ???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@Chris Ross
Thank you so much, that was just the sort of info / examples I was looking for.

Could you recommend a decent quality wet wide lens for either / both of the cameras.......and if you’ve got image samples that would be amazing......(I’m swaying towards the LX10 today lol)

One of the issues with wet lenses is obtaining just this sort of information - I don't have the items and can only report/interpret on what I've found online and there really is not a lot of info/samples out there. The closest I've found is this guy who has purchased a WWL-C for his LX-10/15 but hasn't used it underwater yet - Wide angles - AOI or Inon?

and this item on Wetpixel which has a couple of people who have the WWL-C showing pool photos at the end of the thread. New Nauticam Wet Wideangle WWL-C there's some conflicting info earlier in the thread and misunderstanding about the vignetting issues, however the last two posters with the lens seem to say it stops vignetting at 30-32mm focal length and is probably usable at 28mm. If it works at 32mm you still have the field of view of a 14mm lens which is pretty wide.

the WWL-C seems to be very good quality and works well it seems on the LX-10 but it's expensive, as much as the Nauticam housing - I would also caution that those results only apply to the housing it was tested on - another housing with a longer port may perform differently. You might like to PM the people with the lens to ask specific questions or see if they will supply larger samples of images. It is a big lump of glass and really you would only remove it underwater to clear air bubbles from the rear element/ flat port glass.

if the WWL-C is too pricey and you want to try a more basic wet lens I would consider getting a housing with the option for a short port - which is basically only the Isotta - recognizing that the cheaper lenses are not zoom through and you would be removing them to zoom in which is limited with the short port - but there is even less info I could find on performance of those lenses.

Hi @Chris Ross
Just a quick update. I went with the Panasonic LX10 in the end combined with the WWL-C
Hopefully it will all be delivered on Wednesday and I hope to try it all out at the weekend (depending on what Boris has to say tomorrow)

‘I’ll let you know how it works out for me and hopefully post some footage.

I think I’d like to shoot in 1080p @ 60fps so that I can slow some scenes down in post, do you have any recommended movie settings to help me get started......I’ll also be using 2 video ,lights..... (I only ask as I won’t have much time to experiment before my diving trip) do you shoot manual for video or auto?

Many thanks again for all your help this far, it’s much appreciated

Lee

...Canon G7X-III is another option with a 24-70 lens and apparently takes wet lenses well and does a pretty decent job white balancing underwater but executing the WB is a painful 10 button sequence...

My Canon G7X has a single button shortcut for WB, I wonder why they did away with that in the "improved" new models?

YES, Canon changing the wonderful SINGLE button push for CUSTOM white balance in the Canon G7X II and G7X III was a bit disappointing.

As a 4 year user of the Canon G7X II I have found great success using the "FISH Mode" or UNDERWATER white balance choice and in ANY white balance choice you can bias more cool to warm by turning the front command dial when choosing a white balance. That has worked for me but I shoot LARGE / FINE JPEG, not RAW.

Finally, a slight slip on the Canon G7X II (and III and original G7X) lens mentioned by Chris Ross. All have the same 24-100mm f.1.8 - 2.8 lens that works well from wide angle to close up shots in one compact package.

Adding wide angle plus super macro lenses is an option too. Being lazy myself I've found the built in macro range of the G7X, G7X II and now G7X III is fine unless you're shooting a shrimp's eyeball :)

Hope this helps!

fullsizeoutput_50c3.jpeg IMG_1995.jpeg IMG_1645.jpg IMG_3580.jpg IMG_8740.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom