Luxury hotel or condo in Roatan?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Revid1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My wife and I would like to dive in Roatan but want a really nice place to spend the week. Would consider either a hotel or condo depending on location. I've read that West end is the best place? Appreciate suggestions. Thank you.

The definition of "luxury" will be what mathematicians call "the unknown" in this equation.

By any recognized international standard (STAR system, etc), nothing on Roatan rises above the bottom 33%... again, on the commonly referenced International Rating Systems.

Just as any ski mountain rates their trails from easy-moderate-advanced with that complete comparison spread being applied within each ski area, of course you can make similar comparisons on Roatan, from best to worst, if you will.

It is then that subjectivity comes into play. In a huge way.

But first... here's a largely unseen bit of Caribbean mentality, something which is very well practiced on the Bay Islands: The more a resort is presented or positioned (by advertising, website, or on TwitAdvisor) as being particularly "posh", it aint. The Bay Islands are at a point in development, Roatan in particular, where a lot of dream-money is being pumped in, resulting in a lot of high expectations for rental condo ownership. There are some truly magnificent looking properties on Roatan (Oops, not located on West End no matter what the volume of written acclaim for that zone), that are indeed stunning to look at, but when you move in for your vacation, the "seams" become apparent. The biggest crash in expectation vs reality is in the level of consistent service. It really does not exist in the "LUX" category objectives.

There is one property being promoted as lux on West Bay/West End zone that is doing pretty well on the "review forums", at least as a "hotel", but it is not a dive resort by any description, so it isn't an option for me nor is it a real consideration on this message board. Locals tell me that the prominent feature here is fussy presentation of costly meals, snazzy decor, end of story. Time will tell, and as with most everything in the tropics, if staff doesn't keep the mangroves cut back, the monkeys will soon be swinging through the rafters.

On Roatan, it very much so depends on what else you want to do. In your case, to do other than sit in and sleep in a "luxury hotel or condo".

In my twisted view, I take any given destination for what it's has best to offer. I come to Roatan to dive, I have yet to see any place other than where I prefer to stay- in a simple cabin on stilts over the reef. (people pay stupid money for the same vacation cabin in Tahiti) So, I come to dive, a lot, and if it's a simulated "grass shack" so much the better. CoCoView for me.

This is a luxurious heaven to some and by some standards....

To others... not so much. How's 'bout this, then....

But do be careful, pictures are but a mere 1/250th of a second in time....

Meaning... I don't think she will be posing there when you arrive. No less or more-so than any brochure picture... they shoot them when there's a fresh coat of paint on new construction. Things in the tropics tend to get moldy and decay, that's the way things are, but also understand that this usually applies to higher levels of 'contrived' concierge service. That attitude has not exactly become what you would call pervasive on the Bay Islands, the pay scale isn't helping, either.

The best example: (Leave current US Politics out of this business model discussion) There have been numerous outcries and much wailing by locals over the possibility of a Trump Property being built on Roatan. Considering their business model and precise standards, this just simply is not going to happen unless island culture and national laws (that prohibit "proper" management of employees) shows a dramatic change. Roatan will for a very long time be locked-into a Shady Rest, Hooterville Junction hotel model. A lot of splash and dash for the investors, but the end product only has to be in the same ballpark as 97% of the rest of the competition. It'll do, they love the bartender, great reviews on Trip Advisor, it's all good.

Again, go to Roatan for what it is best suited. Seeking "luxury" is a fools errand.

Roatan throws in several different unseen components due to its geographic expanse. For being such a small island, it sure is a big place. West End (and it's immediate West/North environs) offers immediate access to terrestrial diversions such as bars and restaurants. This is pretty obvious and anyone can see this, versus the more isolated and distant locations of the more upscale AI choices. What can not be seen and due to lack of breadth of experience, most divers do not understand the differences in actual diving between various zones. The West End, for the more seasoned or experienced diver- it isn't in First Place on Roatan.

Depends on what you want, and what you'll "settle for".

Last edited:
My wife and I would like to dive in Roatan but want a really nice place to spend the week. Would consider either a hotel or condo depending on location. I've read that West end is the best place? Appreciate suggestions. Thank you.

Not many luxury hotels on the island. Probably the most luxurious condos on the island are in West Bay, Infinity Bay (Roatan Resort and Luxury Roatan Hotel | Infinity Bay Spa and Beach Resort). West Bay is also the nicest beach on the island. I believe that Infinity Bay has an in-house dive shop, if not there are several in the immediate area (Search results: Scuba - TripAdvisor). We have done most of our diving with Anemona Divers (Anemona Divers)

Check out infinity bay it's in west end has a dive opp and also Mayan divers is next door beach is good but ratan is known for sand fleas the dives are awsome. The food at infinity bay was good also I was there last year. Had a great time

Doc nails it. Roatan is not a luxury resort destination.

We equate Roatan now to what the Caribbean was 10, 15, 20 years ago. Roatan is rustic, quaint and ruff around the edges, heck West End did not even get paved until a few years ago. If you are looking for 4-5 star resort standards this is not it. Roatan is a dive destination. The end

Of course everything Doc & I say is exactly what we like about it :)

Last edited:
Have you visited Grand Cayman? There are luxury hotels and condos there and very good diving available, but it can be expensive.

Some of the discussion in another current thread, AKR Trip Report 11/14 - 11/21/2015, may be of interest since the reviewer also had what I believe were a little higher end preferences than the typical dive tourist.

One useful point to consider; what's got you guys interested in Roatan? Might help others advise you.

Richard.

Check out infinity bay it's in west end has a dive opp and also Mayan divers is next door beach is good but ratan is known for sand fleas the dives are awsome. The food at infinity bay was good also I was there last year. Had a great time
Infinity Bay is in West Bay - two miles west of the West End.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom