Luxfer vs Faber vs Worthington

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh, easy enough. The only problem then seems to be finding the left handed ones. What are your thoughts on 2x HP 100 asahi tanks for $450? Bands and manifold comes with it too

They are absolute bricks. I had a pair that I dove as a set of doubles and it felt like diving with a battleship anchor on my back. They were just too negatively buoyant to dive as doubles. I split them up and sold them as singles.

So the valve like this can still be o2 cleaned?

XS Scuba 7/8-14 UNF DIN Valve
No. The manufacturer is very specific that their valves marked "Air Only" cannot be cleaned for O2 use.
They actually made it a point a few years ago to label them "Air Only" as they found that just including it in product info and specs was not sufficient communication. At that time they did communicate to dealers the very specific information that those items could not be made O2 clean.

The language in the Dealers Catalog, which really should be included on the website is:
"AIR ONLY, ***WARNING*** COMPRESSED AIR ONLY, Never use this product with any gas in which the concentration of oxygen exceeds 21%. Failure to follow this warning may result in fire, explosion, injury and / or death."

I am sure some others will weigh in with their own "real facts" but that is the manufacturer specification.

No. The manufacturer is very specific that their valves marked "Air Only" cannot be cleaned for O2 use.
They actually made it a point a few years ago to label them "Air Only" as they found that just including it in product info and specs was not sufficient communication. At that time they did communicate to dealers the very specific information that those items could not be made O2 clean.

The language in the Dealers Catalog, which really should be included on the website is:
"AIR ONLY, ***WARNING*** COMPRESSED AIR ONLY, Never use this product with any gas in which the concentration of oxygen exceeds 21%. Failure to follow this warning may result in fire, explosion, injury and / or death."

I am sure some others will weigh in with their own "real facts" but that is the manufacturer specification.

@JackD342 do you know of any that I can buy that are capable? In the event the current ones fail?

@RyanT I would be doing them sidemount if I used them

no manufacturer sells scuba valves marked for oxygen service, too much liability.

if you want to sidemount, get the pst/worthington/faber tanks or low pressure steels.

@JackD342 do you know of any that I can buy that are capable? In the event the current ones fail?

@RyanT I would be doing them sidemount if I used them
There are Thermo and XS Scuba valves that are suitable for O2 up to 40%, just need to read the specs to see which ones. In general, that would be the convertible "Pro" valves that are DIN plus a yoke insert.

I believe Sherwood valves are either O2 clean up to 40% out of the box, or can be converted to that standard with a conversion kit. Their current reference materials are a little lacking in detail, and the service guide that says the conversion kit is required is from 2001, so I wouldn't be surprised if they now come O2 clean for 40% out of the box and they just didn't think to note it on their website or in the dealer catalog. If I get an answer this week I will update that info.

What I have never seen is a valve in the US market that the manufacturer states in writing can be cleaned for O2 higher than 40% - at least not Thermo, XS, or Sherwood. If I remember correctly, I believe I read that anything chrome plated cannot be approved for O2 higher than 40%, but there may have also been a maximum pressure component to that guidance. Perhaps some of the more specialized tech brands are filling that niche, or everyone just ignores the limitations. I'll try asking Sherwood about the Genesis valves they import as long as I am reaching out.

Even in side mount, I suspect the Asiahi tanks will be too heavy. They are 5-6 lbs negative when empty. Personally, I think they make great single tanks, but I wouldn't want to dive them as doubles, banded together or not.

Who on earth anywhere for anything ever even in America really wants
7/8 valves
are you kidding
anywhere
ever
for anything

full.jpg

Reach out and standardise with 3/4

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom