Luxfer vs Faber vs Worthington

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

afmiller

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I’ve been doing a bit of reading and trying to find some HP 100 steel tanks. It seems Worthington make a good scuba tank, but have they stopped making them? I can’t find anything but Faber. Why is there really one choice? A lot of the steel tanks up by me that I can get used are using the 7/16 valves

I’ve been doing a bit of reading and trying to find some HP 100 steel tanks. It seems Worthington make a good scuba tank, but have they stopped making them? I can’t find anything but Faber or luxfer. If I’m stuck with those 2 choices which is the better choice and why?
Are there really Luxfer steel tanks?

My bad, just Faber, luxfer is AL. Lot of reading and stuff has blurred together

your options are PST, worthington, and Faber with a small chance of asahi/heiser. asahi and heiser are a lot more negatively buoyant so unless if you prefer a really heavy tank to skip using weights, i would give them a miss. PST and worthington are both going to be used, with the old 3500 psi PST tanks being annoying due to their 7/8 UNF valve. the Faber painted tanks are disliked because it doesn't hold up as well as the hot dip galvanized coatings, so they have to be cared for a bit more closely, especially with regards to the awful boot they come from the factory. Faber has started selling new tanks with hot dip galvanization, but you have to pretty much buy them new and they aren't that cheap. there isn't anything wrong with the 7/8 neck 3500 psi pst tanks, just be aware it will cost more if you have to rebuild or replace the valve.

To my knowledge, there is no current manufacturer of steel scuba cylinders in North America. And Faber is the only DOT compliant imported brand I am aware of. Scuba tanks are NOT a major product line for the producers, and tend to last a very long time in the marketplace once sold to a diver, so demand for new production is limited.

your options are PST, worthington, and Faber with a small chance of asahi/heiser. asahi and heiser are a lot more negatively buoyant so unless if you prefer a really heavy tank to skip using weights, i would give them a miss. PST and worthington are both going to be used, with the old 3500 psi PST tanks being annoying due to their 7/8 UNF valve. the Faber painted tanks are disliked because it doesn't hold up as well as the hot dip galvanized coatings, so they have to be cared for a bit more closely, especially with regards to the awful boot they come from the factory. Faber has started selling new tanks with hot dip galvanization, but you have to pretty much buy them new and they aren't that cheap. there isn't anything wrong with the 7/8 neck 3500 psi pst tanks, just be aware it will cost more if you have to rebuild or replace the valve.

My concern with the 7/8 (Asahi) , is all the valves I’ve seen are air only, they won’t support nitrox. Or so it’s stated. I can get the set of Asahi tanks for $450

I will be using them in sidemount with a drysuit if that helps with weighting on choices too

yes it can if you need to.

Oh, easy enough. The only problem then seems to be finding the left handed ones. What are your thoughts on 2x HP 100 asahi tanks for $450? Bands and manifold comes with it too

Back
Top Bottom