Luxfer AL80 1^86 (6315) tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I bought a USD aluminum 80 in 1973. I didn't like the buoyancy so set it aside for tire filling, etc. It is always full or nearly so. Three years ago, it passed hydro and VIP. This was the first and only hydro since date of purchase. "Sustained load cracking" is what somebody came up with on the scene of the first incident of aluminum tank explosion. Later, an aluminum exploded and severely injured the LDS guy who had VIPed and passed the tank just before he filled it. The "authorities" had to come up with a new theory for this one since there were no cracks observed prior to the accident. "Sustained load" could not explain a spontaneous failure. Truth is, they don't know anything. Metallurgists can dazzle you with explanations of the grain structure and explain the definition of sustained load cracking, etc but they don't know the cause either. Luxfer claimed that the failed tanks were "abused" which is almost certainly a load of bull.

Personally, I believe that repeated hydro testing will tip brittle aluminum over the edge and is the indirect cause of the cracks. Look, if a "sustained load" caused cracks, my 33 year old tank pressurized constantly to 3000 psi (Alcan/Luxfer), would be a prime candidate. Inside, it still looks new. No, after testing there may exist a weakened area in the metal which then becomes patent after a few more cycles of flexing (fills). That's my two cents.

Publicity about exploding aluminum tanks has gotten a lot of attention. Although I believe my old 6351 is still good I've decided to retire it. It will be scrapped. It's replacement will be an older steel tank, inspected and tested. Now, if something blows up, nobody here will be able to say "I told you so". LOL

Alrighty then, everyone who wants to dump their Luxfer tanks, just box em up and ship em to me. I'll give them a good home.

PM me for my mailing address.

FD

We won't fill them... no one in the Dallas area really does any more. It was kind of interesting as I got in a discussion with a friend of mine who owns a shop and he is a PSI instructor trainer. He quoted stats that millions of these tanks were produced, and only 6 have blown up. That makes the odds pretty good I guess.

The other way to look at it is that there are about 1800 dive shops in the country. 6 blowing up takes my odds to 1 in 300 that a tank will blow up, injure or kill and employee and or customers, and take out the back half of my building. Really not worth the risk for the 3 bucks we charge for a fill.

And if you look at your purchase, $80 + 2 Hydro and vip at $30 a piece brings you to $140 - assuming they both pass, you have $70 in tanks that are 20 years old with 20 year old valves. Brand new tanks made from a better alloy with new valves run you $124.95. So if one fails hydro or vis, you are $15 in the hole... if they both pass, you saved 50 bucks...

And one of the ones that did blow up - did so in the trunk of a car. No one was in the car at the time - good thing - it totaled the vehicle.

If you want some more reading on the subject - check out this page: http://www.wahoo2001.com/Divingincidents/dangerous tank explosions.htm

And if you don't want to use them as wind chimes, or lamps... you can always shoot them for fun: http://www.scubatoys.com/store/joelarry/tankbullets.asp

I've got one in the shop - a Walter Kiddie with a brand new hydro - refuse to fill it. It can be recycled for about $20 worth of aluminum. We credited the customer $15 on his hydro toward him getting some new tanks, so if anyone wants it - they can have it for the $35 plus the shipping... or stop in and get it. We won't put a vis sticker on it... and won't fill it in our shop. But I would tell you don't throw away your money. Most places I've seen are leaning toward the "it's not worth the risk to fill them" attitude.

Back
Top Bottom