Luxfer AL80 1^86 (6315) tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rubberduck

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Just how bad are these tanks? I went out tonight to pick up 2 of these used tanks ($80 for 2). The original hydro date is 1^86 so they are going to need a hydro before I use them. They are in great shape, hardly any scatches. I bought them from the original owner who has not dived in many years. They were stored with air in them and have no visual signs of cracking (although I'm not an expert by any means).

Should i just write of this purchase as an impulsive buy without doing my homework or would you have the hydro done and if it passed feel safe using them?

Thanks for the help.

My prediction is you are going to have trouble with these. A small number of 6351 alloy cylinders have shown sustained load cracking. That alloy has been discontinued. Setting aside the fact that they are 20 year old aluminum cylinders of any kind (leading me to wonder whther they will pass hydro,) people have been injured and even killed while filling these cylinders. You may well find it a PITA to get them filled, expensive to get them inspected (you will likely be required to get an eddy current test to detect neck cracking, a test that a lot of shops don't even know how to do correctly even though they have the equipment) and just generally a bother.

You can read an authoritative commentary here:

http://www.psicylinders.com/library/Current/6351_review.htm

If it was me, I'd turn them into some kind of decoration, but that's just me.

IF your tanks pass hydro and VIP , they should be good to go, but be sure to find a good inspector who will spend more time looking at the tank than counting your money. Like any tank, they will have to be VIPed every year.

I agree with Henryville- hang em on you wall or turn them into driveway markers. How about cutting part of the tops off and making ice/wine buckets with a scuba theme. You might be able to recover some $$$ if you scrap them out.

Hogwash!

If you want to believe what they told you, then I'll take them off your hands. I'll pay shipping costs to my house, cause I think they're fine. I'll take them to hydro and vis.

shoot me a PM if you want to dump em.

FD

Take them for hydro and vis. I'd say 50% of the ones that come through the shop fail, but 50% pass and they're fine!

You didn't say what manufacturer they were and I can tell you that's going to make a difference. If you can post that or the serial # I can tell you whether you're more or less likely to have problems with them.

Rachel

They are US divers tanks with a original hydro of 1/86. They only have 2 vis stickers so they have not been used for awhile. The bad news (i think) is that when I got home and checked the pressure, one was full (3000 psi) and the other at 1400. Looks like they were sitting like that for 19 years.

fire_diver:
Hogwash!

If you want to believe what they told you, then I'll take them off your hands. I'll pay shipping costs to my house, cause I think they're fine. I'll take them to hydro and vis.

shoot me a PM if you want to dump em.

FD

In South Florida it is nearly impossible to find a shop that will fill pre 1989 cylinders due to the 6351 sustained load stress cracking problem. I personally has a run in with a Walter Kidde tank that had been "inspected" by another shop. As I was filling the cylinder I noticed a hiss which is fairly common when filling dozens of cylinders in a day. I thought it was merely the o-ring on the face of the valve a simple fix. WRONG!!!
There was a hole in the cylinder smaller than a pin head that was leaking air. I stopped the fill drained the tank then called the customer and the other shop to let them know that a VIP should be done with open eyes. Older 6351 cylinders are still in service today I have hydroed and inspected many that are still good however it is not worth someone's life to keep a 20-30 year old tank in service.

As for an alternative, drill a hole in the bottom and make them into hurricane lamps.

The Walter Kidde tanks and the US Divers (actually Luxfer) from that era seem to be prone to cracking more so than the Catalina tanks or even Luxfer branded tanks, not really sure why.

Rachel

biscuit7:
The Walter Kidde tanks and the US Divers (actually Luxfer) from that era seem to be prone to cracking more so than the Catalina tanks or even Luxfer branded tanks, not really sure why.

Rachel

Great question, the Catalina Tanks never used 6351 so any cylinder from them is good to go. The USD/Luxfer tanks are good tanks but better safe than sorry so I will always believe getting rid of the older 6351 is the right way to go.

Back
Top Bottom