Lurked too long, Had to get involved..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

".........lalalala.... can't remember any more verses...."

They won't have to worry about the tennis any more because Wimbledon is being moved to somewhere like Milton Keynes... egads! How could they???

Ooops... this is getting very NDR...
:p

I made the jump and then some.

I certified advanced and then extented for some more (it was a long weekend in ontario). So I passed my Deep speciality as well.

Dove in Tobermory, and now have first had experience of thermocline in a big way. Surface air temp about 90F, Surface around 65F, 40' down 50F (guess), and a recording of 42F at 85'.

So having done my deep dives, I can report than at 90' in Ontario: it is still murky, it is still cold, the fish are still green and brown (if you can find them), but the wrecks are spectacular.

Thanks for all your support,

I'll see you at the bottom.

Hey OD... congrats on going AOW. Thermoclines are amazing, I think - last dive I had I was fascinated by the clear blue water at the top and how halfway down it suddenly turned to yellow muck... but in Thailand we have LOTSSSSS to see in the murk... ya just gotta look carefully and you might bump into something big, like a huge eagle ray.... or grouper....

:)

Ah yes... the wonderful world of thermoclines. And people wonder why drysuit diving is so popular in The Great White North?

Some famous u/w photographer (whose name escapes me now) once equated 60' in the Great Lakes to 120' feet in Grand Cayman..... only darker and colder! So... how big a light did you use? :wink:

BTW, I take exception to your statement about lack of fish. I *always* saw lots in Toby. Ok, so they ARE all various shades of green and brown, but there were always lots of 'em!

Congrats on your cert. :)

DSDO,

~SubMariner~

Didn't need a light at 90' and could read my watch and my Dive Computer (no backlight). Was on the Niagara II.

Needed a light on the night dive, used a UK 8 D cell double bulb. Can you say "overkill". I got it for wreck penetration (for later <G>). Having learned my lesson by making a night dive into a "bright day" dive, I have learned my lesson and will use my secondary Princeton Tec 40 (4 AA)for any more night excursions.

Only saw 4 or 5 fish larger than 3". Lots and lots of crayfish though...

Wow.. you've got some serious wattage going there ON!

However, I disagree about using only a 4AA light as a primary at night. It would make a good back up, but certainly wouldn't give you enough range of vision at night. Stick with the UK as a primary. They are superb!

We have a couple of UKs: a 1200 and a 400. The 1st takes 8 DDs, the 2nd 4 (or is it 6?). Both are good main lights for a night dive.

DSDO,

~SubMariner~

Back
Top Bottom