lungs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oren413

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
wasn't sure where to post this, but it seems most fitting in here because i couldn't find an actual section on this type of stuff.

anyway, i know healthy lungs make for more relaxed and easier breathing underwater, but i was wondering how big the actual volume difference is with lungs in people. what i'm saying is, how much bigger would, lets say, a 6 foot 210lb persons lungs be than a 5' 2" 120lb persons?

i wonder about this because i like doing buoyancy exercises using only the lungs.

Unfortunately, I'm not at home where I have my reference books, but a quick attempt at search the web for relation between vital capacity (functional lung volume) and height and weight failed to come up with a formula. But average vital capacity for a 70 kg (154 lb) male and average female were estimated on one site to be approximately 2 liters different. This would give you a lift difference of a little more than 4.5 lbs in seawater.

I know, as a practical matter, that if I inhale fully, I move upward far more slowly than my male colleagues do.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom