Luggage Suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drizzt117

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey All,

I'm looking for a suitcase that will be able to hold 1 weeks worth of clothes plus all my dive gear. I don't want to get one of the "scuba" gear bags for travel b/c I don't want a bag that says steal me. What do you guys suggest?

Thanks

Thomas

Hi Thomas,

Although, technically, it is made for scuba travel, I don't believe that in appearance, it screams "SCUBA gear inside, please steal"
What I'm talking about is the Stahlsac Diver's Transporter System. I used it for a week long trip and it worked great. You can check it out here:
Stahlsac Diver's Transporter System
Last year, when I bought mine, it came with a mesh gear backpack for free.

Good Luck,

Rick

drizzt117 once bubbled...
Hey All,

I'm looking for a suitcase that will be able to hold 1 weeks worth of clothes plus all my dive gear. I don't want to get one of the "scuba" gear bags for travel b/c I don't want a bag that says steal me. What do you guys suggest?

Thanks

Thomas

Both my daughter and I go diving, for weeks on end, each with only a 21 inch rollaboard and shoulder bag. The latter contains essentials/irreplacables/unrentables - tickets and travel docs, toilet articles, a change of clothing, dive computer, prescription mask, bathing suit, camera, light sweater, medication, and a paperback or two.

Prior to 9/11, both were carryons on most airlines. Now security is usually too much of a hassle for a rollaboard full of dive gear.

I got an Akona Deluxe Backpack and found it to be durable, large, well proportioned for dive gear, and easy on the back. It came with a dry bag too. There is a frog logo on it, so it doesn't quite scream "STEAL THIS DIVE GEAR!"

It seems like the old, nasty looking bags never get taken. Its the brand new, expensive luggage that disappears. Unfortunatly, this doesn't apply to lost luggage. Sometimes you can gate check your bags. But you still need to get it through security & drag it down to the plane. Very rarely does anything gate checked get lost or stolen.

I used to pack alot of the scuba gear on the carryon bag. Its just too much and post 9/11 too much of a hassle.

I use samsonite hard cases suitcases. They are very dependable and will protect the gear. An amazaing even though: On my last trip to Bonaire, I was carrying photo stuff in a Pelican 1650 case: On the way back arriving in SJU, I noticed a csubstantial crack in my case!!!!! I shudder on the force it took some one to crack a 1650. Pelican replaced the case free of charge.

Personally, I would only use hard cases. My father once flew to the Bahamas only to discover that someone used a knife to cut open his suitcase. They stole several items, and the airport and their security didn't care. Basically he was SOL.

astrl

Back
Top Bottom