lubricating o-ring's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cjohn

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Folks,
Excuse the DIY newbie question, but I want to do it right. When lubricating o-rings I was advised to place a little between my finger's. Then place the o-ring between my finger's and rub to get good coverage. This seems fine for replacing o-ring's, but what about o-ring's that are in place and just need a little lube? Do I need to pull them off completely and follow the same instructions as above, or is a little lube rubbed on the o-ring and threads okay?
Thanks,
Chirs

whats esayer to do with new o-rings is to take a plastic lunch baggy and put just a tough of grease in it and drop the oring in and lub it up that way. you know its clean and you can store it in there. also with it on a bolt you can put a small amount on the head of the bolt and rub it on to the oring with you fingers. try not to get it on the threads. it will change the torque value of the bolt.+ it might become loose over time from being lubricated.

Doesn't the lubricant you use have to take into consideration what gas you're using (e.g. a lubricant is Nitrox compatible )?

It depends.

Removing an O-ring is an easy way to damage it or the surfaces on which it seals. You need the right tools and techniques. If the part is clean but dry then it is often better to just smear a "thin" coat of lube on the ring and put it back together.
This is especially true if you don't have the right tools and some spare o-rings on hand.

Most threads in our gear are not lubed.

Silicone lube if fine for air diving.

If you have any gear that is O2 cleaned then it is better to go to O2 compatable lube for EVERYTHING. This greatly reduces the chance of using the wrong goo.

Thanks, for the input. I dive the hell outta my gear and switch reg setups as much as I change my underwear. I've noticed that the o-rings on my reg look like their they are drying out. I've mainly been putiing a little lube on my finger and working it onto the o-ring, but usually my big fingers get lube on the threads. I've just been wiping that off with a clean cloth. Is there a better way to do this, or certain tools I should be using?

cjohn:
Is there a better way to do this, or certain tools I should be using?

Dental picks. They have rounded edges and won't cut the O ring.

DiveGolfSki:
Doesn't the lubricant you use have to take into consideration what gas you're using (e.g. a lubricant is Nitrox compatible )?

You can use anything with nitrox levels up to 40%... so you only have to worry if dealing with Oxygen compatible... Pure O2, or high percentage mixtures. But if worried about it... heck... a $10 jar of O2 lube will last virtually forever if your just lubbing o-rings.

scubatoys:
You can use anything with nitrox levels up to 40%... so you only have to worry if dealing with Oxygen compatible... Pure O2, or high percentage mixtures. But if worried about it... heck... a $10 jar of O2 lube will last virtually forever if your just lubbing o-rings.

That's what I got from Larry. I don't think I can use it all in my life...

Anyway, I am using the O-ring pick like a dental one. Just put some lube on the pick and apply it on both side of O-ring like a dentist... LOL~

Get O-ring pick.... It is only $2 and makes your life easier..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom