Lubing O-Ring: How often?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vondo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I just got my first underwater housing (and camera). A Canon A620 and the Canon housing.

The manual for the housing is pretty spartan; it doesn't explain much about keeping the seal in good condition. Do I have to remove and re-lube the o-ring every time I crack open the case, even if it is just to change batteries and swap out the memory card?

I'm headed on a live aboard next month and don't really want to spend all my time messing around with the camera, not to mention that I'm worried about damaging the O-ring too.

On another note, I see that Sealife sells a tool to remove O-rings for their cameras. Does anyone have a cheap DIY solution for removing the Canon O-ring? I don't think I want to use a fingernail, really, right?

Thanks,

Eric

Pinch the o-ring between your fingers (thumb and index) and you can usually get it out. It sorta bunches up, if that makes sense. You don't need to re-lube ever time you open the case as long as it is still lubed up a little. I usually only use my camera on vacation so I always remove the o-ring, make sure it is clean and re-lube when the trip is over.

I agree with Jerald. I dive about every other weekend and I only lube the o-ring of my case (Canon S70) about once every other month. After using that camera for about 2 years or so it's been fine.

TOM

Why do you care? silicone is cheap, clean the o-ring and crevices every time you open it and re-lube it, why take the chance that sand or other dirt will get in the way, its cheaper than getting a new camera and it doesn't take so much time anyway.

SmileMon:
Why do you care? silicone is cheap, clean the o-ring and crevices every time you open it and re-lube it, why take the chance that sand or other dirt will get in the way, its cheaper than getting a new camera and it doesn't take so much time anyway.

Because more lube and more manipulation of the oring isn't necessarily a good thing. I lube my oring maybe every 6 months diving every other weekend or more. When it comes to orings make sure it's clean but overall try to leave it alone as much as possible.

Chris

I like Monkey's concept. I usually need to clean mine because sand get in the o-ring from beach dives. I if it's clean leave it alone as long as it has a light coating of grease on it.

I clean, inspect, and re-lubricate the main O-ring of my housing at the beginning of each dive day. Apply just enough lubricant to give it a wet look. It should slide easily through your fingertips (while you feel for grains of sand, etc.) and there shouldn't be any globs of lubricant. I wash mine with soap and water.

Removing and cleaning it a lot is a waste of time and effort. Each time you remove it you take the chance of installing it incorrectly or getting something caught under it. It's important to remember that the purpose of the silicon is to lubricate the O-ring. As long as it slides easily, it has enough lube. Go light on the lube when you do clean and lube the O-ring.
One thing I do that has saved my camera a couple of times is I carry a small magnifying glass and use it to closely inspect the entire O-ring and mating surface. A small hair or grain of sand is all it takes to distroy a camera.

The cheapest, most convenient removal tool I know of is a credit card, C-card or similar plastic card. I use the corner to work under the O-ring. My Oly came with a removal tool that looks like a cheap guitar pick.

I soak my housing and wipe the salt off my o-ring after every dive weekend. I remove and lube the o-ring and wipe the groove out with a makeup q-tip (they're less furry than the regular kind) about every 2-3 weeks. There's almost always a little salt, etc. under it when I do. Oly has a nice little O-ring remover/case opener that comes with their housing. It strongly resembles a guitar pick, which would probably work just great.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom