LP95 Doubles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ReefHound:
I didn't realize BP/W was a gear setup unique to doubles?

Its of course not....but IMO many divers 'think' doubles when they here BP/W.

Satori:
I have 2 LP95's I like to turn into a set. I currently have apeks regs (adding long hose) and use a dive rite BP/W w/ standard harness.
SS

Is that plate stainless or Al? Do you dive a drysuit? Double steel tanks are heavy.Make sure you will not be hugely overweighted.

ReefHound:
limey, good points but what really needs to be covered beyond what you said in your post? I think anyone dumb enough to dive with the isolator or posts closed will be winning a Darwin award eventually anyway.

Easier than it sounds mate. Especially if you dont know about isolators and what to expect if they are open/closed etc. (and not even going into post vs. valve failures)

Might sound "obvious" but to newcomers, it can be anything but.

Trim and weighting also stand out as not necessarily 'complex' but if you have a friend/mentor that has already gone through the pain of AL/Steel plates, trim, different wings, it can definitely help I would say.

Also, if you want to go beyond using doubles like a bigger set of singles, then yes, I would say you do need a class to drill into you the implications of handling different failures.

I learned to dive doubles on my own....course like many asked questions//saw a few videos//read a few books....but pretty much just got after it.

Don't overthink or over analyze what transitioining to doubles is.

Although they are often thought of together in fact transitioning to doubles and extended range/overhead diving are two different things. A person can use doubles without going into overhead or extended range situations. Many people who render advise mixed the two so don't really think of them separate.

So, get your buoyancy and trim nailed using a single tank. While you are at it get a pretty good idea of your gas consumption under a variety of circumstances. Depending on your physiology you may have dramatically different rates of consumption under different conditions.

Then, either take formal instruction, or have someone who thoroughly understands the applicable issues help you set up your doubles and shepard you whiile you get them under control.

Then make the gear changes using doubles will entail. For example, in my case the fins I used for single tanks were just too flexible for doubles. The added resistance of the extra tanks and gear caused the fins to unload their thrust to soon. So, I went slow and got tired and didn't get anywhere.

Other people have had to change wings, or other gear.

After you have your doubles dialed in and you are able to do decent valve drills take the courses you need to do the deco/overhead diving you want. Or, never take the courses and continue the dives you are already doing but without the need to change tanks as often. Your option.

Simple in concept. Not so simple in exection.

Satori:
Hey all...Do I truly need to take a class to dive doubles in open water? I have 2 LP95's I like to turn into a set. I currently have apeks regs (adding long hose) and use a dive rite BP/W w/ standard harness. I know I would need a different wing but would this be a good decision? Any comments appreciated.

SS

A common tenent of safe diving is to obtain appropriate instruction for new conditions.

When you got your C-card for single tanks, you were given that instruction as it related to a single tank.

When moving onto double tanks, you should also get that kind of instruction.

All you may need is a pool session with a tech instructor. All he needs to show you is valve drills, air sharing, buoyancy adjustment, and trim. And out of the water, you need an explanation of the isolator's functioning.

So, yes, you need some kind of instruction, although not necessarily a "class."

texdiveguy:
I learned to dive doubles on my own....course like many asked questions//saw a few videos//read a few books....but pretty much just got after it.

DVDs certainly count as "instruction." The medium is silicon-based (your DVD player), however it is still instruction. The learning method is visualization. You need to pay really close attention this way, and if you are a really bright student, it works fine.

I learned about doubles in a tech class with an instructor. He was a great instructor who gave us a lot of good tips.

On the other hand, I learned about DPVs with the DVD that came with it, and that worked well also. But operating a DPV is a lot easier than operating doubles. So it all depends on the situation.

texdiveguy:
LOL...it happens though.....even divers forget to turn on the gas on singles.....now you have 3 knobs!

With doubles and with manifolds, there are a lot of issues with how to turn on the 3 knobs, either all the way, or 5 turns, or 1 turn, etc.

A good tech instructor can help you with issues like this, whereas an amateur buddy might lead you astray.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom