LP72s

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

grantmac

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Recently acquired some of these to use instead of AL80s since I can fill them myself (planning 200bar). But I'm finding their trim characteristics are worse than AL80s. They go from negative enough to mount on the rails to positive enough to start floating. Which makes positioning the bands at best a compromise.
Is there some secret setup I'm missing here? Did I waste $200usd?

It might help to know the manufacturer.

Recently acquired some of these to use instead of AL80s since I can fill them myself (planning 200bar). But I'm finding their trim characteristics are worse than AL80s. They go from negative enough to mount on the rails to positive enough to start floating. Which makes positioning the bands at best a compromise.
I wasn't aware rails were still in common practice.

Dive them like real short AL80s with sliding or fixed waist d rings with the waistbelt at the appropriate height. Some other mfg (Norris?) are significantly more negative and best clipped to a drop d at the rear of the waistbelt.

Reactions: L13
I wasn't aware rails were still in common practice.

Dive them like real short AL80s with sliding or fixed waist d rings with the waistbelt at the appropriate height. Some other mfg (Norris?) are significantly more negative and best clipped to a drop d at the rear of the waistbelt.
Clearly I needed to show off my fancy dancy Hollis SMS75 last week :D

Are you in fresh or salt water?
The tails will always be positive at <100bar ish. With a weightbelt that normally fixes the floaty butt factor of lp72s so your overall trim is legit.

Filling them to 200bar is a bit dubious to me, but what do I know.

Not rails, drop Ds. Cold salt water with drysuit.
I run two Ds on my waist for AL80s.
They are marked US Divers and feel very neutral. I usually move my AL80s once they hit 150bar.
I was hoping to drop 4-6# off my rig and avoid reclipping but that sounds like it won't work.
I dislike running weights on tanks although maybe that would tip the scales.

if you want to drop weight and avoid reclipping, go with HP100s

LP72s and LP85s are both going to be closer to neutral and will need a bit of reclipping as they get butt light towards empty

They are marked US Divers and feel very neutral. I usually move my AL80s once they hit 150bar.
I was hoping to drop 4-6# off my rig and avoid reclipping but that sounds like it won't work.
they are very neutral with a valve and reg. but neutral and level are two different things. the lp72s will go valve down roughly the same way al80s do

I dive mine like I dive AL80s. Downclipping around ~1200-1500psi I think. I have the drop Ds on the back, and two pairs of D-rings on left and right. Attach to the Ds, for me the drops are too far back.
I fill mine to 2800psi, its the point where they are 80cuft, so I get a good few dives out of them.

Mine tend towards neutral when empty, I add weight when doing dives with AL80s as they tend to be 2-3lbs positive.

They're nice tanks to move around on land and are a bit more slender than the AL80, which doesn't make much of a difference really, but I really like mine and I find I can get them much cheaper than an AL80

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom