LP worthington's real capacity

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Miami_Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have a pair of Worthingtons LP85 , their service pressure is 2400. after visiting their website it turns out to be that even after a +fill at 2640psi their true capacity is 82.7!!.
what a bunch of Bull S**T. that means if you stick with their suggested pressure of 2400 its probably about 79 or somewhere in that area. why dont they just say the true pressure intead of lying to the customer. I know I should have inquired a bit more but I didnt think they would be that off the mark. thats why I just pump them up to 2900 cold , maybe then Ill get the advertise pressure.

Well first it is true that LP steels are always sold as the capacity with the +10% rating in effect. That is just the way it is.

As for the 2.3 CF rounding error it is not that different from the AL-80 that is usualy only good for 77.4 CF.

You may find this interesting:
http://www.diveriteexpress.com/library/tanks.shtml#vollie

Pete

yea but this is 82.7 AFTER the plus fill at 2640psi. service pressure is 2400psi.

Miami_Diver:
yea but this is 82.7 AFTER the plus fill at 2640psi. service pressure is 2400psi.

Are these (it) new or used?

If new or on the factory hydro they should have the + stamp and that elevates the "service pressure" to 2640. If they are used and on a subsequent hydro that did not earn the + then the service pressure is 2400 as stamped with the corresponding loss of CF capacity. Yes it's an absurd system but for LP steel cylinders it's standard to the best of my knowledge. Caveat Emptor

Becoming gear savvy is more of a challenge in many way than getting open water certified. I'm no expert by far but I'm amazed at how much there is to know.

Pete

Miami_Diver:
I have a pair of Worthingtons LP85 , their service pressure is 2400. after visiting their website it turns out to be that even after a +fill at 2640psi their true capacity is 82.7!!.

yes... you didn't check before you bought them?

that's the first thing i did (figure out true capacity)

btw, you will find this is not uncommon in a lot of tanks

also, i get my tanks pumped up to 3500 to 3700 on a regular basis,
so it's not really an issue for me

H2Andy:
also, i get my tanks pumped up to 3500 to 3700 on a regular basis,
so it's not really an issue for me

Are these Worthingtons? I just bought a set of 108s & the valve it comes with does not have the rating my Faber 121s & 98s have. My LDS will pump my Fabers to 3300 no problem, but dont want me to push the Worthingtons anything over 3000psi.
Since these will be my doubles these valves wont be on long, but will probably end up on stages.

yeah, these are Worthingtons, LP 85's

i love it how shops play these games. basically, if the burst disk holds, pump it :wink:

H2Andy:
i love it how shops play these games. basically, if the burst disk holds, pump it :wink:

Amen to that. My shop has never had any problem giving me a good fill so I thought it strange they would say that. Next time I fill them Ill give them a nudge to see how big of a stand they take on the situation.

Miami_Diver:
what a bunch of Bull S**T. that means if you stick with their suggested pressure of 2400 its probably about 79 or somewhere in that area. why dont they just say the true pressure intead of lying to the customer. I know I should have inquired a bit more but I didnt think they would be that off the mark. thats why I just pump them up to 2900 cold , maybe then Ill get the advertise pressure.

Basic marketing BS.

Have you measured your TV screen or computer monitor? Do the inches match what was advertised?

Do you get the MPG you car was advertised for?

theskull

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom