LP vs HP?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

merxlin

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am looking to buy a 100cf (+/-) tank. I do mostly boat dives with a max 3000 psi fill. My usual boat uses steel 85's and only fills to 2450 psi, so getting anything above that means a "special" fill. Other than the ease of fills on the boat, any other reason I should not get an LP tank? BTW, I know there are lots of tanks and sizes out there, but I'm not interested in an HP 130 and a short fill. Thanks in advance.

merxlin:
Other than the ease of fills on the boat, any other reason I should not get an LP tank?

As long as you have the build and strength to comfortably handle the extra size and weight of the LP cylinder it's a bargain.

Pete

The new HP 100's are really nice tanks. Weight, buoyancy when empty, length, balance.

Don't know if you shoot or not, but they're kinda like a .308 Winchester.

the K

I have LP 108's now, the weight is nice, you can prolly drop some lead off your belt or dive with none if your just in a wetsuit.

I live in a mixed marriage: my wife LOVES her HP100's and I just got two LP108's to replace my LP125's today.
Still, we manage to stick together despite this almost insurmountable obstacle.

THose LP125's doubles Tom? If so whats your workout plan :p

The Kraken:
The new HP 100's are really nice tanks. Weight, buoyancy when empty, length, balance.

Don't know if you shoot or not, but they're kinda like a .308 Winchester.

the K

Not if he can only get 2450psi they aren't!

if you really can only get 2400 psi, then maybe a 104 I guess (which is the same essentially as an X8-130 but just the LP version of it)

At 2450 that 85 is even less. It is 85 cu. ft. at 2640 psi. I get my 85 filled to at least 3000, and that makes it a 97. That works really well. There is one "do-gooder" who won't overfill it around here, all else are OK. I also have the 95 which is 8 inches in diameter. It is a heavyweight, and the diameter is a funny fit on some BC's. If you can try before you buy, that could be a plus.

Stu S.:
At 2450 that 85 is even less. It is 85 cu. ft. at 2640 psi. I get my 85 filled to at least 3000, and that makes it a 97. That works really well. There is one "do-gooder" who won't overfill it around here, all else are OK. I also have the 95 which is 8 inches in diameter. It is a heavyweight, and the diameter is a funny fit on some BC's. If you can try before you buy, that could be a plus.

Stu, unless I am mistaken (entirely possible) I believe 85's are full at 2400, the 2640 is for the + 10%, no? (http://www.techdivinglimited.com/pub/tanks.html)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom