LP Steel Tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SouthFLdiver

Contributor
Reaction score
I own two PST LP 80's and two OMS LP 131's. I have been diving the 80's for awhile but cant carry enough air even with overpressurizing to go to 130+ foot dives. I recently bought the 131's but do not like the height and weight. I am a large guyu but only 5'8". Can i get some suggestions on what tanks to use and whether to go with smaller capacity doubles or one large single.

SouthFLdiver:
I own two PST LP 80's and two OMS LP 131's. I have been diving the 80's for awhile but cant carry enough air even with overpressurizing to go to 130+ foot dives. I recently bought the 131's but do not like the height and weight. I am a large guyu but only 5'8". Can i get some suggestions on what tanks to use and whether to go with smaller capacity doubles or one large single.
I think those 80s are just begging you to double them up.

:11:
SouthFLdiver:
I have been diving the 80's for awhile but cant carry enough air even with overpressurizing to go to 130+ foot dives.
...teehehee...
Think I'll just sit back and watch now... :eyebrow:

SouthFLdiver:
what does that mean?
It means you are about to get flamed by the folks on here that know everything there is to know about diving. You'll be flamed for diving to 130+ without proper planning and extra gas. Trust me, I've been through this flame fest, it isn't fun.

Now, as to your original question. I realize the LP 131s are pretty tall. I'm 5'4" and dive with HP 130s. They are kind of tall for me to, but, with a BP/W and a double band holding the tank in place, I have not had a problem getting used to the size.

Considering the difference in our heights, I think if you use two cam bands on a BP/W and do some playing with how you set your gear up with regard to tank positioning, you'll find you won't have much trouble with comfort for long.

Personally, I like having all that gas.

Just my thoughts.

Quarrior:
It means you are about to get flamed by the folks on here that know everything there is to know about diving.
I too have been flamed, and I certainly know LESS THAN everything about diving, but here goes.
SouthFLdiver:
I have been diving the 80's for awhile but cant carry enough air even with overpressurizing to go to 130+ foot dives.
Your profile says you're an "experienced" diver. But even a newby knows you shouldn't do 130+ dives with a single 80, as I'm sure you also know. You mentioned "overpressurizing" the tank, as if that was a valid option in an attempt to use an 80 at 130+ feet - and you sound as if you tried it.
What's your buddy diving with? Or are you..SOLO?
Come on, you can't blame the posters for calling foul (or troll).
Personally, I think you're messing with us a bit... :eyebrow:

Try the new E series tanks. Especially the E119 tanks. These are basically Faber 95s, in a high-pressure version. These are most delightful doubled up. Also you could try 104s.

I think this is a message board about diving where people come to ask questions, not be criticized. A single 80 is enough to go past 130 feet if you are a conservative breather and overpressurize. But I bought lp 131's so i can go deeper with the proper equipment. I do dive solo occasionally, but most of the time i have a buddy. So is anyone going to answer my question? Or just try and make me look bad for some unknown reason.

Actually, teknitrox and I both gave you pretty reasonable answers without flaming. Please check our posts.

Being flamed is not what this board is about and please do not thing that of our board. There really are some very knowledgeable and friendly people here.

SouthFLdiver:
I think this is a message board about diving where people come to ask questions, not be criticized. A single 80 is enough to go past 130 feet if you are a conservative breather and overpressurize. But I bought lp 131's so i can go deeper with the proper equipment. I do dive solo occasionally, but most of the time i have a buddy. So is anyone going to answer my question? Or just try and make me look bad for some unknown reason.

SouthFLdiver:
Sorry, not trying to flame or criticize, just discuss safety issues of diving. I really didn't know that 80s were OK to dive past 130' if overpressurized.
Now I know.

Back
Top Bottom