LP Compressor Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes seriously, 5120 is completely impractical as you need a crane to move it. But as per everyone elses advise, any regular air compressor not specifically disigned for diving or that has ever had any oil other than monolec in the compressor unit will probably kill you.
There are however lots of small portable units on the market that would totally suit your requirements. an additional caveat is unexpected equipment failure. I personally will not dive surface supplied without some kind of bailout. If you dive fairly shallow and no D, a little pony tank or even a spare air can should be enough

This is exactly why I'm reading threads instead of tinkering in my garage--what are the hazards of using other kinds of air hoses? I thought of NOT using an oil-type compressor and it occured to me a filter would be needed to remove fine metallic particles from piston/cylinder wear... there must be other hazards too, right?

What you are mainly concerned about is aspirating oil. An inline filter is always a good idea, regardless of which compressor you use. But any oil-less compressor will be safe. Pneumatic tool hose has been tested with oil and will have residual oil in it. Don't use it.

You cant use just any hose for breathing air. A good breathing air hose should be constructed out of a material that is kink resistant, chemical resistant and have a not toxic liner. There are hose out there that will of gas toxic fumes in to the breathing air. The off gassing dose not effect performance if you are running hydrolic fluid or fuel but will kill you if it is in your breathing air. Also a fairly chemical resistant hose is important there is a lot of crap floating in all types of water every thing from motor oil to gasoline to chlorine in pools. All of this will breakdown some types of hose. Kink resistances is also important a lot of the hose use in so called hookah systems are not designed to be twisted around if you get a loop in these hoses it will cut off you breathing air supply.

On the market know there are three main brands of commercial grade breathing hose in use they are the sinflex BA, Barfield breathing air hose, and Gates 33hb. There are others on the market like the twisted umbilical made by umbilical international to of texas. I has scene some people in the boat cleaning industry use custom built long low scuba hose but these can be pricey. Just take into account the air pressure in to the hose and the diameter of the hose the most common diameter is the 3/8 in hose any thing less and you will be trying to breath through a straw.

Thanks for the specifics on breathing hoses! My first thought on this project was cheap, using stuff I already had laying around but now it's becomming a bit more complicated. But this is why we have this forum so we can find out things that might not be obvious. It might turn out to just be easier to use a scuba tank and go get it filled but meanwhile I'll keep looking on Craig's List for a cheap, used hookah.

please do not do this and hurt yourself jesus christ where do people think this stuff up
this is an efficent way to asphixiate yourself especially cause the intake is probably INCHES from the EXHAUST
you know about gas under pressure and everything, why would you risk inhaling CO at elevated ratios

I just skimmed through the whole batch of posts in this thread, might have missed it if somebody mentioned it already & if so, I beg yer pardon.
Thought I'd mention that "breathing air" compressors [that use oil] usually have an extra set of wiper rings on the pistons, giving a head start on the filtering system.

The inevitable story:
I have a buddy that had some wankers stick a plain old auto supply store compressor on the end of his hose after the "real" compressor crapped out & it messed his lungs up so bad that he was never able to dive again & in the end I'm sure that it'll wind up shaving some years off his life span.
At least it made him quit smoking, so *maybe* it'll all even out, health-wise anyway.:shakehead:

Slightly related:
A "dive outfit" down in Mexico was using one of said compressors (running plain old car oil) & they were using Kotex to pack their filters with. :shocked2:
That was one job I looked at that I couldn't run away from fast enough.

Anyway~ another place to look for a [cheap] compressor are the "dental compressors", the ones that run the dentist's tools.
Some are hefty enough to supply adequate flow & not apply a vacuum to your wallet.
They also have a good start on a filtration system.

Trivia: In some states the Worker's Comp rates exceed the diver's wages.

Dive safe & try not to kill yersself, eh? My insurance is high enough already.:no:

they have this same compressor on a pancake tank. is this useable for diving or is it going to cause any problems. can you use any oil less compressor with a tank?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom