LP 104s - To buy or not?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ElectricZombie

Contributor
Reaction score
I need to break down and spend the cash for some new tanks for a doubles rig. When I was talking to a local dealer, he recommended steel LP 104s because the size of them allow for better trim options. He explained it that you could move the tank up and down in the bands to help work out potential issues. 104s also seem to be recommended in the DIR-F book.

I'm aware that the LPs would be easier to fill and overfill. I don't really mind the weight all that much.

My question is, are LP 104s the best option for a doubles cave/wreck rig? As for right now, I would just use one of them for singles diving. Later, when I get a drysuit, I would double them up.

So, should I go with LP 104s?

ElectricZombie once bubbled...
I need to break down and spend the cash for some new tanks for a doubles rig. When I was talking to a local dealer, he recommended steel LP 104s because the size of them allow for better trim options. He explained it that you could move the tank up and down in the bands to help work out potential issues. 104s also seem to be recommended in the DIR-F book.

I'm aware that the LPs would be easier to fill and overfill. I don't really mind the weight all that much.

My question is, are LP 104s the best option for a doubles cave/wreck rig? As for right now, I would just use one of them for singles diving. Later, when I get a drysuit, I would double them up.

So, should I go with LP 104s?

It also depends on what diving you are going to do. I have a set of double LP 72's right now i practice with but for the GUE Tech 1 class i will be buying a set of LP 104's because in the 170' depth range less than 104's isnt really enough. I dive a LP 104 when i dive a single and i love it. You wont need much if any weight with the 104 be it a single or doubles. Personally i think double 104's are a good choice provided they dont break your back when you carry them
:)

I purchased a LP 108 a month or 2 ago that I have been very happy with, not sure just how the size compares to the LP 104. The 108 is the same height as a AL80, with an 8" dia.

What kind of diving, what kind of exposure protection and what does the rest of your team have?

Roak

Later on I'll be doing some deep wreck and some cave diving. For single tank dives I usually wear a 5mil wetsuit. When I start doing some deep stuff, I'll buy a dry suit. I'll be using my backplate and harness either way, so I'll have a little weight from that. Combine that with a set of heavy 104s, and I should not need much weight on the weight belt.

As far as what everyone else I would be diving with is using, most of them have 108s or 100s. One guy has a couple of sets of 72s. I know that ideally you would want to have similiar tank sizes but, I would not mind having to end the dive a little early due to my buddy having a smaller tank.

There's a rumor here that production of the PST LP series may soon end. Check this thread and decide if it's credible.

Some people have complained of the slightly larger size of 104's. I haven't tried them, but we all use either PST 95's or OMS 98's.

The OMS 98s seem a little to squat for my tastes. I'd rather have a longer tank.

ElectricZombie once bubbled...
The OMS 98s seem a little to squat for my tastes. I'd rather have a longer tank.
I don't find them squat - - SQUAT would be a HP80.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom