Lowest SAC possible ? (without being dead)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaJackie:
To whom it may concern

You should all be ashamed of your selves. To call someone a liar and to knock them with out any proof is wrong. To do so without talking to the person, on the internet, without attempting to verify anything is cowardly. How is that right? How is that the actions and behavior of a rational adult? Are we now children?

Are you no better then the tabloid news?

Look, some people can do things you can't. You can do some things that others can't. That is ok. If you don't believe someone, why don't you just ask them instead of calling their character and integrity into question?

People make wild boasts and claim great feats on scubaboard all the time. It is rare someone with FredR's experience comes along to actually back up their claim and therefore the odds are hugely stacked in the favour of those who claim BS.

Thanks Fred for setting the record straight. I for one appreciate having someone with your experience posting on scubaboard and I hope you understand where all the nay-sayers are coming from and don't let them discourage you. I believe you have a lot to offer us here.

Fred R.:
......as of yesterday I have completed 13,001 dives.....snip.....I dive an average of two times a day, seven days a week, fifty weeks a year. Some years I do around 900 dives, most years around 700.
As impressive as your SAC rate is, I am even more jealous of the life that you are living that gives you the opportunity to be underwater so much!! Very impressive indeed!!

I'm with WeDiveBC now. While we don't have "proof" I'll conceed that I was likely wrong in my judgements and comments. Unfortunately I largely live my life by the axiom: "If it sounds to good to be true, then it probably is."

Unfortunately this sort of mindset does not allow to be open to the mysteries of human capabilities.

ScubaJackie:
To whom it may concern

You should all be ashamed of your selves. To call someone a liar and to knock them with out any proof is wrong. To do so without talking to the person, on the internet, without attempting to verify anything is cowardly. How is that right? How is that the actions and behavior of a rational adult? Are we now children?

Are you no better then the tabloid news?

Look, some people can do things you can't. You can do some things that others can't. That is ok. If you don't believe someone, why don't you just ask them instead of calling their character and integrity into question?

Hey! Wait a second! This is an internet message board... badouthing, dissing people and libel are already included in the definition of the term "internet message board"...

What fun would it be if we would all behave like sensible people?

And the popcorn industry would go bankrupt!

And the trolls would have to move back to Middleearth!

And whine and cheeze would once more only be a commodity you could only buy in a very well sorted wine depot!

The horror!!!

:05:

bradshsi:
The subject of a very low SAC came up in another thread I was reading.

Assuming they sucked dry a regular 77.4 cubic foot AL80, that equates to a SAC of 0.15.

I'm guessing either a "flexible version of the truth", or a 12 year old 90 pound girl who takes yoga classes.

In either case it doesn't really matter. The only number that matters is yours, so you can figure out what size tanks to bring and how long they'll last . . .

Terry

My thanks to Dave, Jackie and the others who PM'ed me.

I started reading Scuba Board because I was writing a manual for divers who would like to become advanced divers, as I see it. As a fairly long time instructor, I am not happy with any of the 'Advanced Programs', most really seem to teach 'activities' or 'interests' and leave the actual diving skills to experience. Well, experience is a very expensive teacher and I hope that after a lifetime of teaching something-or-other that I can help other scuba divers to do what they want to do with more skill and enjoyment.

I started posting on Scuba Board to see how my writing would be received and refine my style and hopefully improve the content (what we say is not always what the other hears, what we mean is not always what they understand)

As to SAC rates, they are estimates, based on short dive segments, that allow you to use simple math to plan dives to different depths. Real consumption rates are a complex calculus of what happens in real life, very similar to the difference between dive table numbers and dive computer numbers. They are about the same in the planning mode, and diverge in the dive mode.

How to reduce air consumption;
1; take the time to adjust to neutral buoyancy with every change in depth
2; take the time to learn how to achieve horizontal trim without moving at all
3; learn how to breathe more efficiently
4; learn to relax EVERY muscle that you are not consciously using
5; make every conscious movement as efficient as possible
6; Dive a LOT!!!!! until it all becomes automatic.

A sleeping SAC rate is not as low as you can go, most sleeping people carry a lot of tension in their muscles.

I do not sink underwater and go into a vegetative state, that isn't what the meditation I studied is about. It is about being totally aware of the situation, relaxed and ready.

I enjoy diving, that is why I still do it while all others I know 'burn out' and take jobs, often in the scuba industry, that involve only occasional diving. When I dive, I have to keep track of location, direction, position of everyone in the group, multiple air consumption rates, and multiple times to ascend. I have to assist those with difficulty, and be ready to assist or rescue those with problems. I have to do all that invisibly, because visibly I have to assist everyone to have a better time with me than being elsewhere or with others. At the same time, I am doing my own observations and activities, the things I love about diving that keeps me going.

For those who appreciate my insight, whether or not you agree, thank you. There are many people who post on this board who I would dearly like to dive with, the chance to dive with many of you is what has made it possible for me to stay a dive operator through the good and bad times.

Fred R.:
I fill my tank, I usually start the day with 3100-32000 psi 32% EAN.
I could probably do this too if I filled my tanks to 32k.

I'm just kidding with ya Fred, I know it's a type-o. Quite a life your living.

Matt

Fred R.:
Hi all,

The diver in question is me, the thread started in an 'ankle weights' thread.

To answer some questions,
Yes, as of yesterday I have completed 13,001 dives.
I am 5'6" tall, wieght 170#
Dive Cert Level, TDI instructor trainer #864

I began professional diving in the mid '80s. I dive an average of two times a day, seven days a week, fifty weeks a year. Some years I do around 900 dives, most years around 700. My wife is an accountant and keeps track of it all.
I think I know more than a little about diving.

I began the practice of zen meditation when I was fourteen. At fifteen I joined a Chinese Martial Arts School, and continued to teach and practice the same until I was 42. Along the way, I also studied other forms of movement, including dance, Classical Ballet, Jazz and Modern. Oh yeah, Yoga was in there too! I think I know more than a little about breathing and movement.

I also spent a considerable time at University, following a course of study in Biochemistry, Psychology and Masters work in Medical Anthropology.

I only post at all because of a desire to share the knowledge and experience I've gained in dedicated my life, corny as that sounds, to scuba activities. I've totally enjoyed being called a liar.

To those who want to challege me, and I love a challege, come dive with me.
One day, three dives, no deeper than sixty feet, no shallower than fifty, until ascent. Fifty minutes bottom time, ten minute ascent. I fill my tank, I usually start the day with 3100-32000 psi 32% EAN. I do my own thing, nice and relaxed. If I can't do the three dives, your three dives are on me, but when I do, you pay double the posted rate for a three dive day. Now, you can put your money where your mouth is.

My name is Fred Riger
I operate Grand Bahama Scuba and will await your reservation!

Very cool! Man, I'd love to learn to come even remotely close to doing what you can do. I firmly believe that with training, practice and focus, the human body can do amazing things. It just humbles me to see how little I can get mine to do!

bradshsi:
The 0.15 number seems very low according to my limited knowledge of human physiology. However I've seen yogis in India being burried alive and/or apparently be dead, only to recover afterwards. Supposedly some of these people can reach a state of almost suspended animation.

Then again how many yogis do you see diving ? :D

Y'all are forgetting the zombies in Land of the Dead. I'm no doctor but I'm pretty sure their SAC rate would be bellow .15 :D

Back
Top Bottom