Lowest SAC possible ? (without being dead)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi all,

The diver in question is me, the thread started in an 'ankle weights' thread.

To answer some questions,
Yes, as of yesterday I have completed 13,001 dives.
I am 5'6" tall, wieght 170#
Dive Cert Level, TDI instructor trainer #864

I began professional diving in the mid '80s. I dive an average of two times a day, seven days a week, fifty weeks a year. Some years I do around 900 dives, most years around 700. My wife is an accountant and keeps track of it all.
I think I know more than a little about diving.

I began the practice of zen meditation when I was fourteen. At fifteen I joined a Chinese Martial Arts School, and continued to teach and practice the same until I was 42. Along the way, I also studied other forms of movement, including dance, Classical Ballet, Jazz and Modern. Oh yeah, Yoga was in there too! I think I know more than a little about breathing and movement.

I also spent a considerable time at University, following a course of study in Biochemistry, Psychology and Masters work in Medical Anthropology.

I only post at all because of a desire to share the knowledge and experience I've gained in dedicated my life, corny as that sounds, to scuba activities. I've totally enjoyed being called a liar.

To those who want to challege me, and I love a challege, come dive with me.
One day, three dives, no deeper than sixty feet, no shallower than fifty, until ascent. Fifty minutes bottom time, ten minute ascent. I fill my tank, I usually start the day with 3100-32000 psi 32% EAN. I do my own thing, nice and relaxed. If I can't do the three dives, your three dives are on me, but when I do, you pay double the posted rate for a three dive day. Now, you can put your money where your mouth is.

My name is Fred Riger
I operate Grand Bahama Scuba and will await your reservation!

bradshsi:
Just for the record, the poster in question has a profile stating that he's done several thousand dives. So I would think that he would have mastered SAC calculations by now.

The 0.15 number seems very low according to my limited knowledge of human physiology. However I've seen yogis in India being burried alive and/or apparently be dead, only to recover afterwards. Supposedly some of these people can reach a state of almost suspended animation.

Then again how many yogis do you see diving ? :D

My inclination is to think that the poster is disingenuously missing something out (such as the AL80 in question was a fibre wrapped one pumped to 5000 psi). But for the sake of enquiry I thought I'd ask the question to see what is possible.

Point taken on that. You do have to remember that number of dives means nothing. I have seen instructors with thousands of dives that I wouldn't want to dive with (after seeing them dive and listening to them spit out things that were simply wrong about scuba) and I have seen people that have less than 100 dives that dive like they have been diving for years and are very knowledgable and skilled.

And I have never seen a yogi diving. Besides what fun would that be to go down to 60 fsw, cross your legs and meditate for 1 hour at a time. Diving as is makes great meditation for my.

To whom it may concern

You should all be ashamed of your selves. To call someone a liar and to knock them with out any proof is wrong. To do so without talking to the person, on the internet, without attempting to verify anything is cowardly. How is that right? How is that the actions and behavior of a rational adult? Are we now children?

Are you no better then the tabloid news?

Look, some people can do things you can't. You can do some things that others can't. That is ok. If you don't believe someone, why don't you just ask them instead of calling their character and integrity into question?

ScubaJackie:
To whom it may concern

You should all be ashamed of your selves. To call someone a liar and to knock them with out any proof is wrong. To do so without talking to the person, on the internet, without attempting to verify anything is cowardly. How is that right? How is that the actions and behavior of a rational adult? Are we now children?

Are you no better then the tabloid news?

Look, some people can do things you can't. You can do some things that others can't. That is ok. If you don't believe someone, why don't you just ask them instead of calling their character and integrity into question?

We are using proof as well as our own(and others) practiced results. Some of these numbers are from people who have actually practiced scuba for years (not including myself in that one). Aren't you committing the same exact crime by not knowing exactly where all our information came from before you start your name calling. If somebody has a SAC rate of .15 that is great, we are just saying that based on experience and fact that if he did it is highly likely that he would be dead. If he isn't then he can't only do something that I can't do, he can do something that NOBODY else in the world can do.

When you skip breathe, you are cutting back on air intake (meaning less O2 goiing in) and you are building up extra CO2 in your lungs.

Unless you measure your SAC in 30 second increments, you will eventually need to "catch up". Skip breathing does not make you air last longer, and it will not reduce your SAC rate.

Hoyden:
I am sure that the right person in good enough physical condition with enough dive experience could get below .2. We had students in my tec class with deco sac rates of .3 - no way to cheat/pad there since we did our deco sac rate test all together and recorded our numbers together and did the math together - I think that I am a hoover and my deco sac rate was .43. Hal Watts (who did his first 240' dive 2 onths after I was born - in 1962) is amazing when it comes to air comsumption - I'd bet that on a non-working dive he is under .2 Physical conditioning also plays a big role in this - my current resting heart rate is about 68 (I have a lazy winter) - in the best shape of my like I was in the low 40s.

Jackie

Here again, what fun would it be to settle down to 60feet and just lay there for one hour.

I would think that an individual's cell physiology would definately play an important role in air consumption. For example, if a person has higher than average myoglobin level in his muscles, this might lessen his need for increased oxygen consumption.

An interesting experiment would be to take a group of sherpas and a group of normal people with similar lung capacity and similar physical shape and determine air consumption underwater.

For my own story:
My wife and I are the same height and weight, yet last time I was at 1500 psi she was at 700. I guess being asthmatic as a child coupled with an elevated erythrocyte level pays off.

Kim:
Nah....I heard Uncle Pug can start with an empty tank and come back with 1200psi after 2 hours. He's really not a good example! :D

He beat Chunk Norris in a breathold competition one time...

lundysd:
It has been said that one of the locals down here (8000+ dives) can take an 80 with 500psi on a 30 minute dive to 80 feet. Is this exaggerated a little? Probably, but it's been said by several people who dive with him, so who knows.

I amazingly comes out to exactly .15 (if he times it just right and breathes the tank dry. I am born and raised Texan and I call his BS, and his friends BS, and raise him that I dive to 1000fsw on a Spare air canister for 3 minutes and make it back to the surface.

I'll put it this way. I want to see it. If this person has a sac rate that low (and is actually diving not just sitting on the bottom and meditating, then I want proof. This proof thing goes both ways. Lets see video (so he's not breathing of his buddies tanks during the whole dive, and have a sworn afvidavit from an unrelated surface support that verifies his starting/ending pressure as well as his dive time and depth on a computer. If he can provide something to this effect then I will eat crow and the medical diving community will probably want to run some tests on him to see how he manages this.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom