Lowest SAC possible ? (without being dead)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bradshsi:
The subject of a very low SAC came up in another thread I was reading.

In that thread the person posting stated that they http://www.scubaboard.com/showpost.php?p=1662772&postcount=36

Assuming they sucked dry a regular 77.4 cubic foot AL80, that equates to a SAC of 0.15.

This is what's called a cyber-SAC. Most people's cyber-SAC is 10-25% lower than their real SAC. What we have here is an extreme case.

I would be very skeptical of any claim of a SAC lower than .3

I've heard the odd story of free-divers and yoga masters who claim lower SAC's but it would take a lot of training and I suspect they do it with skip-breathing.

Just to put this in perspective. An average person's tidal-volume is about 1/2 litre. A SAC of .15 is 4 litres per min, which means that at 60ft he's breathing in and out about once every 20-25 seconds. I don't know what the average respiratory rate is for divers but if I had to guess I would say about every 10 seconds when relaxed..... My conclusion is that he's skip breathing.

R..

Pug is the only person that can get an hour out of a Fosters can. :D

Actually his and my SAC are pretty similar on most of the dives we do together. I'm right around a .34 -3.6 . Pug falls in the same area. Mind you this is a very relaxed dive not moving all over the PNW, but we do spend a fair bit of time deep. Still staying in NDL we also spend 2/3 rds of our dives above 60'.

For a .15 I think the person would not only have to be famed mountaineer Ed Viesturs (who lab tests have revealed Viesturs' lung capacity to be 20 percent greater than in other humans of similar size. This advantage, jokingly referred to by Viesturs as supercharged Latvian blood, has given him the ability to think clearly at high altitude, and to keep moving when other climbers drop.) but is also skip breathing.

OE2X:
For a .15 I think the person would not only have to be famed mountaineer Ed Viesturs (who lab tests have revealed Viesturs' lung capacity to be 20 percent greater than in other humans of similar size. This advantage, jokingly referred to by Viesturs as supercharged Latvian blood, has given him the ability to think clearly at high altitude, and to keep moving when other climbers drop.) but is also skip breathing.

I would agree skip breathing would have to be involved. Although it seems to me the increased lung capacity of high altitude residents would be the opposite of what you'd be looking for to set a consumption record. In general for example women with smaller frames and smaller lungs tend to be far less of air hogs than their male counterparts, and children even more amazing. Imagine now a mouse on an aluminum 80.

You are probably right about Ed. Wanted to give him credit for being efficient with his gas usage. I know when I climbed over 19,000 it was pretty hard to feel like I was getting enough air.

Then too I went running last night and I had a similar feeling. :D

Wow, nice! I went to 12,500 one time then went on a bike ride and I recall my lungs burned to a crisp exploded out of my chest and got sticky matter all over me and the road ... at least that's how I remembered it ... until I woke up later in bed with my friend trying to lie to me something about crashing and falling and filling in all manner of sorted detail for a fuzzy past I could not recall. Oh yeah, that was when I found out for the first time I had a minor asthma.

DiverBuoy:
Wow, nice! I went to 12,500 one time then went on a bike ride and I recall my lungs burned to a crisp exploded out of my chest and got sticky matter all over me and the road ... at least that's how I remembered it ... until I woke up later in bed with my friend trying to lie to me something about crashing and falling and filling in all manner of sorted detail for a fuzzy past I could not recall. Oh yeah, that was when I found out for the first time I had a minor asthma.
Completely OT - I'm doubled over, weazing at 19,300 and I turn around to see my porter smoking a cigarette with his legs nonchalantly crossed and a smirk on his face... He also was caring the pack.:D

I am sure that the right person in good enough physical condition with enough dive experience could get below .2. We had students in my tec class with deco sac rates of .3 - no way to cheat/pad there since we did our deco sac rate test all together and recorded our numbers together and did the math together - I think that I am a hoover and my deco sac rate was .43. Hal Watts (who did his first 240' dive 2 onths after I was born - in 1962) is amazing when it comes to air comsumption - I'd bet that on a non-working dive he is under .2 Physical conditioning also plays a big role in this - my current resting heart rate is about 68 (I have a lazy winter) - in the best shape of my like I was in the low 40s.

Jackie

Back
Top Bottom