Lower Keys diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wjknobles

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I'm working this summer on Big Pine Key and was wondering what dives would be recommended since I will have quite a few opportunities to go diving on my off days

-For scenery I would recommend Looe Key. It is pretty close. It is probably the nicest reef formation that you will find in the continental USA but it is a protected area so you can't take lobster or spear fish. It is a spur & groove coral formation. There are parts of the reef that break the surface at low tide and ledges that drop from near surface down to about 30 feet.

-Just off Big Pine on the ocean side there are some coral heads in the turtle grass that are pretty close to shore. Even though they are close you will still need at least a small boat to get out there. These are not real scenic but we would go there when the weather was too rough to be out on the reef. You can pick up groupers, hogfish and lobsters on the coral heads. They are marked on the NOAA chart for that area.

-We also used to dive out by Marker 22 on Big Pine shoal out on the reef. The reef is not real scenic there but we used to do well spearing there. Probably because of the lack of dive pressure.

-We also used to dive (freedive) Bahia Honda bridge during slack high tide for fish and lobster. It is just North of Big Pine key. Bridge diving is good for spearing and lobstering but it is not real scenic.

-Although it is not near Big Pine, if you get a chance you should head out to the Marquesas Keys. They are about 18 miles West of Key West. Years ago there were not alot of boats that went out there and the spearfishing out there was great. We dove the reef around Cosgrove Light which is near the Marquesas Keys.

If you don't already have one, you should pick up a NOAA nautical chart of that area and you can find all the spots that I mention. You would need to purchase another chart for the Marquesas keys area. You can find the NOAA nautical charts at a local marine store.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom