Low Viz scare ya ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I slow down to a very low work rate/speed when in low vis and stay closer to my buddy, nice and close. Moving slower will help eliminate possible entanglement and injury scenarios. The buddy feel more relaxed and there is no hurry. You can also try something like a buddy line, but both need what they are doing.

Lastly, the more you dive in low vis condition, they more comfortable you should get. practise

Release_the_Kraken_by_GENZOMAN.jpg

The kraken will take you in 2 ft vis or 200 ft....

Got certified in muck. Still diving there. What is good visibility?

A swimming pool

Low viz just changes the dive to what's visible to you. This generally means slowing down to pay attenton to what you can see. It's amazing to notice what you've often passed over by going too quickly. I do pay attention to my buddy. This may increase the probability that you will shoot your own DSMB rather than be able to stay with a flag (other than your own) on a drift dive.

Good diving,

Craig

Low viz doesn't bother me unless I can't see my depth/computer or if the bottom is deeper than about 60'. I've dove in up to 30' with viz so bad I could only see my hand when it touched my mask. That was not fun and I won't do it again unless it's urgent.

On night dives I love to turn out the lights and 'feel' the darkness.

Pulling milfoil in Northern WI we get ZERO vis.......but that's only in 15 feet of water.

A patient of mine that was in the Underwater Demolition Team (pre-SEAL era) in Vietnam said the deepest he had been in training was 220 feet, the last 120 was in muck....alone.......

My wife and I cert'd in low viz in the Puget Sound in June. The vis was at best <2' and one time we swam through what looked like a wall of muck. Our DiveCon reached out and took our hands and we pushed thru to the other side. With less than 10 dives I do not feel uncomfortable but I do pay close attention to what's going on in a low viz situation. I definitely am going to take the Limited Vis/Night Dive specialty course my instructor offers so that I can increase my low viz skills.

Just did a NJ shore dive this weekend where the viz was less than 12 inches. Was more worried about who I'd find and not what. Maybe I have been watching too much of the Sopranos?!

Rhode Island vis normal 3' - 10' good day 10'-15' a really good day 20' a rare day 30'. Last Sunday @ 30fsw vis was 2' - 5' and a hazy white. Don't worry about not being able to see. If its a big GW rushing towards you, you'll feel the pressure wave it creates and you'll know something is close. :)

I like all the replies that have been posted.
Actually I've not dove in low viz yet , but have snorkeled in low viz and I don't like it, scares me what I may bump into, like that Kraken thing or that Great White or that Super Turtle. I can see the other problems it could create.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom