Low profile octo recommendation?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree with Jim's above philosophy. Give the OOA diver something that you both know is working, namely your primary second. As I value my own life highly (and like to look good in OOA exercises) I generally use as my octo another second, identical to my primary one (if it's good enough for my primary second stage, it's good enough for my backup second stage). Yes one may be black polymer while the other is yellow, but if I'm diving say a Mares MR-12 Proton, both of my seconds are of the Proton model. It makes rebuilding/maintenance easier too, as I double up on the same second stage kit. As I am very familiar with the breathing characteristics of my primary second, I know about how the octo should breathe in all situations.

I see this from 3 points of view as an instructor, technition, and end user. And the first thing I'd like to adress is all the instructors referancing the out of air drills we practice in the pool and test in the open water. The idea of an OOD aproaching their buddy to indicate to them they want their octo is simply not reality. An out of air diver is going to grab for any available reg with air going to it. If it is the octo yes a slimline will provide air in any orientation (I'll get to the performance later), BUT what may also be likely to happen is the OOD is not going to waste time looking for an octo (I know should be adressed in the pre-dive safety check but this step tends to be overlooked, especially by the types that run out of air) they are going to grab the obvious one that they know works, your primary. My opinion is thats a case for an integrated octo.

As a technition I can tune those slimlines to the same specs as the primary. However I don't. Unless the octo has a user adjustment on it I tune it back to prevent free flow, slimline or not. Customers tend to complain about free flowing regs, but if they request an easy breathing octo I'm more than happy to ablige.

As an end user if I run out of air I'm really not all that concerned about the performance of the octo, I'm just happy to have air. When you have to resort to the octo your dive is over, time to ascend (controled of course). I have both styles slimline and standard 2nd stage octo, on 2 different reg sets. When using the standard 2nd, even in training I have never seen anyone adjust the user control knob to make it breath easier. Even after demonstrating to do it moments before the skill. And guess what, my standard 2nd stage with the knob all the way closed breaths the same as a detuned slimline.

So as I see it, performance aside have an octo that works and practice safe diving so you never have to worry about the performanse of the octo.

Its a Mares.. I just don't get why a low profile would necessarily be a bad breather.

It's probably because the geometry and diaphragm design of a low-profile octo is compromised by the fact that it's priority is convenient storage shape, not performance. The only one I'm familiar with is the dacor viper (AKA Mares brigade) and IMO it's the worst designed 2nd stage I've owned.

It just does not offer any significant advantage. If you're really trying to streamline your gear I bet there are many other ways you could do so.

---------- Post added March 15th, 2013 at 07:19 AM ----------

As an instructor, when not teaching I use an M.V. I use a shop reg when teaching.
Has about 3000 dives on it and works well. Beaten to near to death and nothing broken
Breathes a little wet, but otherwise it breathes fine.
The primary reason I use it is poor training...ever see a diver OOA and not stop to consider that the octopus they have grabbed is upside down ?
The fact that they get air, even if a bit wet is much better then a 50/50 chance of a lung full of water.
Would never go back.

You don't get a lung full of water if you put a conventional 2nd stage in your mouth upside down unless there's something seriously wrong with it. It's just likely to not breathe very well, maybe breathe a little wet depending on diver orientation because the exhaust valve might be shallower than the mouthpiece flange. Maybe the biggest thing someone would notice is the exhaust bubbles right in your face.

Think about it, if you're diving upside down with a conventional 2nd stage, it's upside down....and it still works fine.

Appreciate all the feedback folks! Good stuff to consider! Colliam7, my fascination is just that - fascination with stuff. I'm fascinated with cars, skis, electronics and so scuba gear. Wife/buddy needs to replace her 30 year old sherwood so I start researching. My take-away from all of this is that whichever way we go we probably won't die and it doesn't necessarily make me a bad person :wink:

This logic never holds up. If cars were safer with airbags then Detroit wouldn't have fought them for 20 years... Only they did. Because they didn't want to take on the cost, not because they weren't better.

There are many reasons that better solutions don't catch on.

Whether or not low profile is better is a separate question.

Your analogy doesn't hold up either. Detroit fought airbags for years primarily because they believed consumers would not pay for safety. Probably a secondary reason is that the technology was not mature enough back in the 70s when consumer advocates started to press them for it.

Neither of these reasons are present in the case of regulators. There is a segment of the diving population that pay for performance and another segment that would pay for easy transportability. Given that slimline octos have been out for years, I would also call that technology mature. You point is taken that I probably should not have said all regulators would be built that way, however the fact that no primary regulators (that I know of) are built that way should tell you something. I am not an engineer but I agree with Halo that there is probably some fundamental flaw that restricts performance in these puck type octos.

BTW, Leisurepro has a Genesis puck octo for under $90.

My advice, based on my experience with the Oceanic Slimline 2, is to just get a conventional octo of the same brand as the primary, to make it easier to have serviced. And preferably with a adjustment know to detune and help prevent freeflows.

I now use the Apeks Egress slimline octo. It's a bit higher price than some of the other slimline octos but I believe it
is well worth the extra dollars. This is a balanced second stage and is a very dry and nice breathing reg for an octo.
I tried the Aqualung ABS slimline octo and after switching to the Apeks I feel the Apeks Egress is a much better choice if
the extra dollars fits into your budget. I have no problem spending the same amount on a balanced slimline octo as I would
on a balanced primary.

Heck, why even mess with the slimline octos. Just get another decent 2nd stage that has adjustable cracking pressure - they are not that much more than the "fancy" slimline octos. I have seen HOG 2nd stages on sale (usually during the holidays - Black Friday, etc.) for around $75. That way you have an quality alternate 2nd stage that is adjustable and can be swapped with your primary - makes a lot more sense!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom