Low on air done right?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Another logic flaw. I dive with a buddy that's half my size, and consequently has much better air consumption. In this case the best plan of action is for me to dive a 100cf while my buddy dives an 80cf. We end the dive almost even every time. In some cases mismatched cylinders is the best plan...

Same logic fallacy of "bad analogy."

You are both intermediates, diving together, which I described above.

If Thallassamania chimes in, he can give you a list of common logic errors.

It comes from a website for atheists, defending themselves against antisemitism. Good list.

The bias fallacy is roughly, "If I do it then it must be ok." That has come up a lot here today.

Another common one is "If everybody is doing it then it must be ok." That is called argumentum populorum in Latin.

The fallacy of false analogy is common, too, and has come up here.

You could learn a lot on Scubaboard, if you will but pay attention.

The obvious fallacy here, now, is bias.

"I do something therefore it must be right."
Technically that would be a Fallacy of Composition, :wink:

However with that said your judging others by your mind set is the same exact thing.

Regards

Technically that would be a Fallacy of Composition, :wink:

However with that said your judging others by your mind set is the same exact thing.

Regards

When you add up the several failures, on this dive, the several of them combined resulted in the LOA which easily could have become an OOA.

That is not about "judging others" in the Biblical sense.

This is instead about "failure analysis."

I did. I pointed out that your rhetoric was logically unsound. You took it well.:eyebrow:

That's what I was referring too. No worries though. I don't mind a little flaming. I know I still have a lot to learn and am grateful for any learning opportunity. Even if it comes with some fire.:wink:

When you add up the several failures, on this dive, the several of them combined resulted in the LOA which easily could have become an OOA.

That is not about "judging others" in the Biblical sense.

This is instead about "failure analysis."
I couldn't agree more however your judging this person failures by your mind set, which btw, we are all guilty of since it is our base of knowledge, makes you just as guilty as the accused.

I have no doubt you have the knowledge base to give the OP the benefit of this knowledge something they as well others could learn from and appreciate. Delivering it in the method you decided created a situation that renders this information and knowledge for the most part, useless. I for one would be interested in hearing from others that have more knowledge and training than I do but stop reading when it turns to ridicule.

Her logic is much more sound than yours. How can you comment on their training and instruction. There is no data in this thread to support those assertions. [edited by almitywife]. Welcome to my ignore list.

Thanks for the support although I must point out I am a His and not a Her.

:coffee:

I couldn't agree more however your judging this person failures by your mind set, which btw, we are all guilty of since it is our base of knowledge, makes you just as guilty as the accused.

I have no doubt you have the knowledge base to give the OP the benefit of this knowledge something they as well others could learn from and appreciate. Delivering it in the method you decided created a situation that renders this information and knowledge for the most part, useless. I for one would be interested in hearing from others that have more knowledge and training than I do but stop reading when it turns to ridicule.

Well, somewhere in the training process, it did not sink in, about checking your buddy's SPG often.

And somewhere in the training process, there was no warning given or heeded about 3 person groups rather than 2 person buddy pairs. Note that the regular 2 person pair in this incident did extremely well. It was the odd man out that suffered a near miss, again, as usual.

A lot of beginners die each year on scuba, presumably because they relied on someone incapable of being a reliable buddy. And that is really sad.

Red flags concerning tank sizes were ignored.

After you have been diving 10 or 20 years, you spot clues easily.

When you are new at this game, spotting clues is not so easy.

Well, somewhere in the training process, it did not sink in, about checking your buddy's SPG often.

And somewhere in the training process, there was no warning given or heeded about 3 person groups rather than 2 person buddy pairs. Note that the regular 2 person pair in this incident did extremely well. It was the odd man out that suffered a near miss, again, as usual.

A lot of beginners die each year on scuba, presumably because they relied on someone incapable of being a reliable buddy. And that is really sad.

Red flags concerning tank sizes were ignored.

After you have been diving 10 or 20 years, you spot clues easily.

When you are new at this game, spotting clues is not so easy.
Very well said and to the point. "That" is useful information that the OP can use and learn from. These clues are what all new divers are here to learn about.

Now back to the dive; Any one of these errors in itself can be dealt with, without to much issue, add two together and that decreases the odds, keep adding and sooner or later an accident is going to happen. I recall from all the dive books I have read that it is typically a series of small problems that added together to create a big problem. We need to keep this in mind when planning and executing a dive.

On a past vacation, I have been guilty of doing dives with three of us because we had one of group layed up sick and it was dive three or one of sat, with the expense of the trip it was a risk we weighed and chose to take. I would like to think we planned them more cautiously and everything went well. On one dive I had a very small free flow that blow away a few hundred pounds of air before we desended so I called the dive. I could handle the one three man issue but adding me lower on air and that became unaccecptable, two issues/one dive, that was a risk I was not willing to take.

Regards

Half of all scuba fatalities are by novices.

Yes, Neres that's correct. That means the other half of all scuba fatalities are by experienced divers.

Your logic is infallible. I bow down to your clearly inspired wisdom. You are the grand poobah of all diving knowledge. etc, etc etc.

Back
Top Bottom