Low cut boots - advice needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

andrethediver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have been pretty satisfied with my 5mm Henderson Insta-Dry boots except for the amount of space they take up in my luggage when traveling to warm regions so I am looking to add a pair of low cut boots to my set. Henderson used to makeTropic Gold Core boot but I think its been discontinued and they list Microprene boot now. Then there's Mares Equator boots that also get good reviews.

What's been your experience with low cut boots and any particular model you can suggest? Thanks!

Attachments

• hndbtg.jpg
    hndbtg.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 92
  • NB30N-resize.jpg
    NB30N-resize.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 130
  • Mares-2mm-Low-Top-Medium-Sole-Equator-Boots.jpg
    Mares-2mm-Low-Top-Medium-Sole-Equator-Boots.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 119
My wife use them, for comfort and convenience rather than luggage space. Can't remember the brand.

Personally, I like the ankle support. Especially for shore dives.
In term of luggage space, they're negligible compared to the rest of the dive gear. Plus they're a great place to shove computer, lights, masks and other fragile equipment. And spare socks if you have room left.

they are fine in warm water, only draw back I have noticed, is that nematocysts can and will find the little bit of exposed skin.:D

I prefer low cut 3mm booties for tropical diving, despite the dreaded nematocyst gap. :) Haven't bought new ones in quite awhile so can't suggest any particular ones. What I would say is make sure they won't tend to come off when you take off your fins (due to being a little TOO low, come off easier when wet, fit, whatever. I had a pair once that even they fit fine and were high enough for the strap, always tried to come off with my fins and that was a major pain.

I was planning to use them in warm water only.

Like several others, I've never found low cut booties helpful. The worst part for me has always been that my fin straps wind up ABOVE the neoprene of the bootie, causing chafing, blisters, etc. Also, I've never found a lowcut bootie with a strong enough sole to be able to handle some of the rougher beach entry materials like coral marl or rocks.

IMHO if you already have a pair of full length booties that you use & are comfortable with, don't waste your money on the short booties.

I have a pair of the 2mm Mares low cut boots. They've always been comfortable and can fit inside my fins when I pack to travel.

I have a pair of the 2mm Mares low cut boots. They've always been comfortable and can fit inside my fins when I pack to travel.

Thanks - have you had this problem (fin strap getting above the sole/neoprene area) with these boots? From the pictures or Mares Equator 2mm I've been able to find they seem a bit taller than the Henderson boots I have been considering.

412613_dive_boots_equator_2mm.png

Thanks - have you had this problem (fin strap getting above the sole/neoprene area) with these boots? From the pictures or Mares Equator 2mm I've been able to find they seem a bit taller than the Henderson boots I have been considering.

412613_dive_boots_equator_2mm.png

It's never been an issue for me. Very comfortable.

Four inches by three inches by half an inch less neoprene.
If you want them get them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom