Low budget options

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bvbellomo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am in Ohio in the USA. I just got back from my first dive trip (30 logged dives on this trip, only 5 previous) aboard a liveaboard in the Bahamas and can't wait to do something similar, but outside the Caribbean. I will not be able to travel until May, possibly later, cannot go more than 2 weeks, and have a fairly limited budget ($5000 absolute max, would prefer closer to half that).

I've read many threads about fantastic diving in Indonesia for great prices, however most trips leave from remote locations that are expensive to get to and take an extra travel day. Any suggestions for worthwhile trips closer to major airports? Or is Indonesia something I should cross off my list until I have more time and money? I am mainly looking for fantastic and unspoiled reefs, colorful fish, etc. I can appreciate sharks, but the Caribbean has sharks. I don't really appreciate wrecks, but don't mind a wreck dive on an otherwise nice site.

I'd prefer a liveaboard, but am not opposed to shore based trips. Simple and cheap accommodations are fine, but I do like good food. I do not have a travel partner.

Go to the Philippines instead. Not only is it cheaper than Indonesia, the diving is also still very good. Build your way up to Indonesia. :) There are some great direct or easy 1-stop flights to Manila or Cebu to get you into the country once you get to the west coast of the US.

The one exception might be to check out Bali where you can get some good topside time to explore and relax. There's some diving there but I'd say it is not a full representation of all that Indonesia has to offer. It's quite easy to fly to Bali as well.

I also think that the best places for diving in Indonesia are better saved for when you have more dive experience so that you can enjoy it more while not having to worry about the strong current (up, down, and regular), air consumption for yourself as it relates to bottom time and how it might affect others, buoyancy, etc. As you dive more and other places first, you will come to appreciate the beauty that is Komodo or Raja Ampat when you can compare it to other places you have been. Dive it first and you might get spoiled and will not want to go elsewhere after, or you will scoff at those places. :)

The Philippines is a solid option, and it can be quite cheap.

Bali has great diving, personally I would say it is on par with the Philippines and it's Bali Baby!!

The other place you can consider is Manado, N Sulawesi. Easy to get to from Singapore. You can do a few days of wall diving around Bunaken to enjoy the turtles and pretty reef tops, do a few days in Lembeh to try out muck diving, and then a few days on Bangka for a great mix of everything. There are really well priced places in all 3 locations.

Search my threads for trip reports to all of the above for a taste.

The Philippines is a solid option, and it can be quite cheap.

Bali has great diving, personally I would say it is on par with the Philippines and it's Bali Baby!!

The other place you can consider is Manado, N Sulawesi. Easy to get to from Singapore. You can do a few days of wall diving around Bunaken to enjoy the turtles and pretty reef tops, do a few days in Lembeh to try out muck diving, and then a few days on Bangka for a great mix of everything. There are really well priced places in all 3 locations.

Search my threads for trip reports to all of the above for a taste.

I think these are solid suggestions, though I would hold off on muck diving in Lembeh until you know that you have your buoyancy down. Muck diving in Lembeh is a lot of fine sandy bottom and if you don't have your buoyancy down, you will silt out the place for yourself, your dive buddy, and everyone around you. You will not be popular after that. :) I tend to find that newer divers generally don't appreciate muck diving until later, and even more so without a camera. Many new divers tend to like fish, wide angle reef, colors, density, etc., and the idea of combing a sandy bottom with little to no fish, a few coral heads looking for really small critters that some can't see without a magnifying glass doesn't appeal to many. With that said, if your buoyancy is down and all that sounds fascinating to you, I think it's a great place to try it.

If you want to try a LOB in Socorro, no long and expensive flights, plenty of big things to see. Usually there are good deals in May and June.

Philippines is great option on a budget with a huge variety of diving. You are losing 2 full days traveling there and back.

I agree with comments above, hold off on muck diving.

Or Camel Divers out of Sharm

Red Sea liveaboards seen like a decent option for your budget as well.. cheap. With very good boats. Try MY Blue.

Ah, yes, I forgot about the Red Sea! Land based diving and resorts are very affordable. The sister boat to MY Blue, the MY Blue Seas, is also good...Both are the envy of all at port. :) The diving is very good. I’d rank it right after Philippines.

Thailand is also very inexpensive for liveaboards (specifically the Similan Islands) but I find the diving better in the Red Sea for the same price.

With 2 full weeks of diving (16 days including weekends), losing 2 to 4 days to travel is not a big deal. You can reach pretty much any dive location in Asia and still do 30+ dives.

There's a huge variety of dive locations. Prices determined by quality of accommodation, remoteness, whether its a liveaboard, competition, etc. Indonesia can be cheaper than Philippines, but there's a large variety of options in both.

$2500 is doable. At least $700 in airfares, leaving you $1800 for two weeks. That's not going to get you much in the way of liveaboard options or fancier resorts, but can still get you to pretty much any place accessible landbased (even Raja Ampat).

Bali is a very cheap option... can do Tulamben for $80/day potentially. But its mostly muck diving which you might not like so much. Other parts of Bali is decent, but doesn't really represent the best of Indonesian diving (still very good by world standards).

Most parts of Asia, you will sometimes have to deal with strong current. Places like Komodo, you dive the strong currents for the best diving.

Ah, yes, I forgot about the Red Sea! Land based diving and resorts are very affordable. The sister boat to MY Blue, the MY Blue Seas, is also good...Both are the envy of all at port. :) The diving is very good. I’d rank it right after Philippines.

Thailand is also very inexpensive for liveaboards (specifically the Similan Islands) but I find the diving better in the Red Sea for the same price.

breakers resort at soma bay is also a good land option. Possibly the best house reef anywhere...you could probably get 2 weeks for 1800 as it’s 52 euro a night including breakfast and dinner buffets...huge buffets!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom