Lovely diving watch?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Funny--matsat64 thought you were totally serious and agreed with you. Apparently the jest was not sufficiently apparent. This is especially ironic since in another thread you recently went off in a tirade when someone implied that the best divers use BP/Ws. Apparently it is really wrong for someone to suggest such a thing in the vaguest of terms regarding one piece of equipment, but it is OK for you to make an overt and clear statement about another.

My bad for not putting a smilie behind my thread.

The difference between my posting and other pontificators' postings on the BPW threads is that I don't go out and say that you have to use a mechanical watch, or otherwise you can't dive or some silly such.

Sorry to hurt your BPW fanatic buddies' feelings.

So you said it was hyperbolic and partially in jest, and I missed it. Sorry. Could you explain what you really meant so that everyone else on this thread can have a clear picture of your thinking?
I thought I did already?

Here it goes again. It's silly to suggest the use of ELECTRONIC bottom timers and SPGs yet poopooing dive computers/AI dive computers for not being reliable. Either electronics are reliable or are not.

It's also silly to suggest that "real" divers use bottom timers/tables instead of dive computers.

The bottom line for my thinking is that use whatever works for you. Train with what you've got and know how to use it, whatever "it" is, instead of worrying about what others use and whether or not others' systems are better or worst than your own.

People have successfully executed dives with mechanical timing devices & analog gauges. People have successfully executed dives with electronic bottom timers and analog gauges. People have successfully executed dives with dive computer and analog gauges. People have successfully executed dives with fully electronic AI computers. People even successfully executed dives without analog gauges.

Some dive with single set of SPG and a watch. Some dive with double sets of SPG and a bottom timer and a watch. Some dive with two computers and double SPGs. Some dive with two computers and single SPG. Some dive with one AI computer. Some dive with two AI computer. Some dive with AI computer and backup SPG. Some dive with AI computer and backup SPG and regular computer. Some dive with computer/SPG and a watch.

There is more than one way to skin a cat and that's why God didn't annoint any of us to be the know-it-all SCUBA expert.

Last edited:
It's a hyperbolic remark made partly in jest. Don't be so sensitive.

Sorry to hurt your BPW fanatic buddies' feelings.
I don't know anyone like that, either, let alone have buddies among sucha crowd.

It's silly to suggest the use of ELECTRONIC bottom timers and SPGs yet poopooing dive computers/AI dive computers for not being reliable. Either electronics are reliable or are not.

It's also silly to suggest that "real" divers use bottom timers/tables instead of dive computers.

The bottom line for my thinking is that use whatever works for you.

Ah, so it wasn't "a hyperbolic remark made partly in jest." It was totally ironic and meant to be taken as the direct opposite of what you feel. Thank you for explaining that. Please note that others besides me took you totally seriously. I have had that happen to me myself when I write in ironic tone. It's a real danger in communication.

I don't know anyone like that, either, let alone have buddies among sucha crowd.

Ah, so it wasn't "a hyperbolic remark made partly in jest." It was totally ironic and meant to be taken as the direct opposite of what you feel. Thank you for explaining that. Please note that others besides me took you totally seriously. I have had that happen to me myself when I write in ironic tone. It's a real danger in communication.

It was made partly in jest.

Seriously, in this day and age who would think that a mechanical watch is the only way to go for timing device?

Okay, ONE person.

Hi, there. What do u guys think about this Invicta Men's Subaqua Noma IV Chronograph Watch? Is it suitable for diving? I'm new to here and a diving beginner as well. But my bf is a so-called professional of diving. His birthday is coming. Wanna give him a big surprise. So, I'm mean to buy a nice diving watch for him. What do u suggest to go with??

Speaking less as a diver and more as an avid collector of watches over many years...

Invicta watches are absolute crap.

There's no polite way to say it. The movements are cheap Chinese or Japanese movements - some of which do contain a few swiss parts - and ultimately are no better than a decent Citizen watch that can be bought for a fraction of the price.

I'm not a big believer in using Wikipedia as a proof source, but the information listed here presents a pretty accurate profile of Invicta:

Invicta Watch Group - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Invicta - Chinese Watch Industry Wiki

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Just for the record...

The original post was made by a spammer trying to get people to view a known (to us) spam site. "Her" access and other posts were removed but this thread was left intact as there were already several good responses.

Argh! I'm pretty upset! I was totally buying this chic's sweet story and almost posted that she should just buy the watch already and if he was a nice guy he would love her for it. (that was when the original post was created.) I deleted my post because I was doing other things.

Today I decided to come back and see what had happened....

Gladly, I find that (as posted above) spammers DO create good discussions sometimes on products!

The Seiko SKX173 is a new name for the 7002 dive watch. They look great and work great too.

The SKX007 is a newer version, it too looks and works great.

Seiko's Orange Monster and Black Monster watches are excellent as is the SPORK model. The bezel on the Monsters is harder to read than on the 173, 007 and SPORK.

Rebuilt Seiko 61XX and 63XX dive watches can be found on ebay. They are excellent watches too and are part of diving history.

Anyway, the SKX173 and SKX007 look like dive watches and are.

G-Shocks work well for divng but I can't read them as fast as the 173 or 007.

The SKX009 is a "pepsi" version of the 007, if memory serves.

Seiko Kinetic and Citizen Eco watches have had a lot of problems with the capacitors that were originally used and with the batteries that are now used. Sure, many have had no problems but many have. Capacitors and rechargable batteries have a finite lifespan. Google is your friend to learn about this.

Speaking less as a diver and more as an avid collector of watches over many years...

Invicta watches are absolute crap.

There's no polite way to say it. The movements are cheap Chinese or Japanese movements - some of which do contain a few swiss parts - and ultimately are no better than a decent Citizen watch that can be bought for a fraction of the price.

I'm not a big believer in using Wikipedia as a proof source, but the information listed here presents a pretty accurate profile of Invicta:

Invicta Watch Group - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Invicta - Chinese Watch Industry Wiki

My Subaqua Noma III has been a trusted watch on many dives and it has worked well. It is a swiss automatic model. While it costs a fraction of the price of the high end swiss watches, I am quite happy with it. By the way, it is extremely accurate to boot. To call it crap, appears to be harsh considering a working man's budget. I would say the Invicta is a pretty good value for the money.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom