Loved BON, might we like CUR?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

amw5g

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Thinking of a week-long trip to CUR this upcoming late November/early December. We dove Bonaire September of 2011 and had a really great time. BON is out for this trip due to the current advantageous pricing of air to CUR.

The best aspects were:
affordable stay/drive/dive package that included truck, unlimited shore dives, and nitrox
easy access to dive sites along a decent common road (access to, I say, not always so easy getting in the water, or out of the sand!)
the diving itself, of course; with a minimal current, phenomenal experiences at depths <60', and some varied topography from site to site
All in all it was just so worry free and low key with top notch diving on our schedule

All that said, should we expect the same from a trip to Curacao? From what I've read, Curacao has fewer easily accessed dive sites, many sites are private and require an entrance fee and/or rental from onsite ops, and there's a bit more of a current. Trip reports tend to favor traveling with a dive op (e.g., Dive Bus) or mixing in boat dives. Neither is what we're looking for. We've also read to expect an elevated rate of crime, relatively speaking. But this is the internet, so never quite sure what to believe.

There are plenty of posts that contrast the two islands , but I wanted to get some perspectives given our preferred style of a dive vacation. Have read very positive things about Go West, and their packages look competitively priced. Would seriously consider them, or a similar operator.

Cheers,
Amw 5G

If you want a trip similar to a Bonaire shore diving trip, you can do that. You have to drive out on side roads to access many sites rather than them being all right along one handy road, and some will be more challenging to find. But on the upside there is more variety in the sites, and you will find plenty of nice dives. Entry is easier than Bonaire at many sites,there are lots of little beaches tucked away in little coves. On average I think there's a bit more swim out but still not bad. Yes some places have an entry fee, but it's not that much and for your fee you will generally be getting a few amenities like bathrooms, and possibly a bit more comfort about your vehicle as there may be more people around. You can find a bit more current in Curacao, but still not generally much except for a few specific areas.

Lots of people talk about the Dive Bus because they like them and how they operate works for many folks. But you don't have to shore dive with an op. (And Dive Bus is pretty much the other end of the island from All West.) You don't have to do boat dives on Curacao any more than you have to do only shore dives on Bonaire. But there are sites on Curacao that aren't readily (or at all) accessible from shore, including a few of the best ones, which is why most people will suggest doing at least a few boat dives.

I don't know where you are getting there is more current on Curacao. I only know of one place on Curacao that has consistent current, and you really can't shore dive that site. Curacao does not have any current to speak of.

As far as crime, also I don't know where you are getting that either. I see FAR more reports of crime in Bonaire than Curacao. FAR more. Does that mean there is no crime on Curacao, no it does not. Is the crime rampant in either location, no.

Bonaire is a more sea level island with the shoreline being more ironshore where the main road is closer to the shoreline. Curacao has more hills and the shoreline is beaches and bluffs for lack of a better word. Some beaches are owned by private parties, and thus have a fee to enter, but they also generally have facilities, like bathrooms and restaurants. You get what you pay for. I have never had to rent equipment on site, although I do tip to use their staging areas and to leave things with them between dives. Curacao sites have easy entry and exit.

From the sounds of your trip plans, you will like All West Apartments. They have a setup similar to what you describe. Truck, tanks, room. Not sure about the Nitrox. Very nice house reef as well.

Go to Curacao, you will really enjoy it.

Thank you both for taking the time to provide your perspectives. As I mentioned, I've been culling info from many different resources, so it can be hard to separate the wheat from the chaff. You've both given me some great help.
Best

I prefer Curacao to Bonaire. I think the diving is just a little more interesting and the entries are almost exclusively easier.

Most sites will be either a sandy beach entry thru a small cove or have a dive dock.

One thing about Go West (I highly recommend them btw - nice facilities) and Westpunt is that it's 45minutes from town. And there's not a lot out there - minimal shopping, maybe 1/2 dozen nearby restaurants total. If you're going to stay at All West - or Lodge Kura Hulanda - they share Go West - and plan to do any cooking/snacks you may want to stop before you drive out. Centrum Market is 2 lights south of the airport rotary - go straight thru instead of turning right towards Westpunt. They even sell $2 styro containers for the drive out.

We spent about a day and a half out there, a couple in Lagun and then moved back to the Piscadera Bay area. We wanted to do some east side diving and non-dive things in town so for us it was a good location.

As damselfish mentioned, get a good road map. Once you leave town, many of the minor turns are just a guess. I'm known in my group as an excellent navigator and twice I got us briefly turned around. The only thing that makes it easy is there's not a lot of roads to choose from. Or rent/take a GPS - coordinates are listed in each site listing here: Scuba Shore Diving Site Listing for: Curacao, ABC Islands

Dive you should try to get to:

Playa Kalki - it's a different dive in either direction. I liked the north better - more vertical.
Playa Lagun - lots of Turtles
Porto Mari - good double reef dive.
Nos Kas is the old Habitat resort shore dive. I've heard mixed reports about whether there's a dive operation there now. The resort is closed for remodeling.
It's one of the better dives we did there so you might try driving in and seeing if the Coral Estates guard will let you thru. If not, Porto Mari is 5 mins. away.
Varsenbaai - Turtles, Eels, Squid, Seahorses, a Pontoon boat wreck at 80'
Tugboat - besides the Tugboat, the Pier is good if no ship is moored. The best part of the dive is the wall around the point to the south.
One we missed that an Instructor friend from Curacao recommends is Snake Bay.

If you want to boat dive, Watamula is a good one. Go West does it - it's a little far west for some of the in-town boats. Mushroom Forest/Blue Cave is the other well-known boat dive. A DM actually said it's kind of over-rated since there's so much hard coral on coral, the fish life suffers. He talked us into a drift at Lost Anchor instead even though it was farther away. The Dolphin Dive at the Sea Aquarium - main Ocean Encounters shop - was good also. 45mins. in about 45' with 3 dolphins. It's $200 though.

On Curacao both of our accommodations were fully fenced, had gated entrances and security personnel were more visible. One apt. mgr specifically told us which sites to lock/hide valuables at - mostly the farther Knip sites and other more remote locations where there's no on-site operator. The closest to an incident was parking one night downtown, a local approached us and said for a small fee he'd watch the vehicles. When I pointed out they were rentals, we both laughed and he moved on.

Parts of Curacao north of downtown are a little rougher looking but there's both a container port and an oil refinery there so probably more transients. Since they've changed their status back to being a Dutch Protectorate, I assume that's no longer a problem. We were there during voting week and the Dutch Navy had a cutter in the harbor and soldiers were pretty visible.

If you are east (by Breezes) stop by the Dive Bus across the street. If Suzy is there she's a wealth of knowledge. She spent 20mins. showing us better sites on a map - even after we'd figured out we couldn't work within their schedule to dive with them - good people.

Dang, thanks for the thoughtful, well explained post. Still pricing out options, but all of these replies make me want to go right now.

amw5g,
have been to Bonaire many times (12plus). Went to Curacao once two years ago and thought the diving was very comparable to Bonaire. In some ways the diving was better. However beware that Curacao does not cater to divers like Bonaire. You are required to have a dive flag on all shore dives in Curacao. I didn't know it at the time but there is a discussion about it here somewhere on Scuba board. Mainly because of that and the discussion I have just gone back to Bonaire. Someday I may go back to Curacao but see no reason at the moment.

I've been to Curacao 3 times and Bonaire once. Never had anything stolen on Curacao, had things stolen on Bonaire. Dive sites are a bit farther apart on Curacao, but many of them have MUCH easier entries. We love the west side of Curacao. You might check out All West Apartments. THey have 24/7 diving right out back at their house reef. Also offer packages with unlimited air, rental car/truck. They have a dive room on site with tanks, rinse tanks, hangers, etc. Some of our favorite shore dives are: Lagun, Sunset Waters (the resort is closed but you can still do the dive) Alice in Wonderland, all of the dives in the San Juan area and yes it costs 5 Guilders to get in (about 3 bucks) but a good area to get in a few dives if conditions are good. Have never had an issue with currents on Curacao.

If you would like more information regarding All West Apartments or Diving on the West of Curacao with GO WEST Diving, please do not hesitate to contact directly using my email address: bryan@gowestdiving.com

I will be more than happy to answer all your questions and give you a complete orientation to the WEST!

As so many have already said, there are awesome sites all around the WEST and they all are very easy and accessible however not as well marked to be honest as Bonaire. With that being said, I am sure you will have a great time discovering Curacao!!

"The best aspects were:
affordable stay/drive/dive package that included truck, unlimited shore dives, and nitrox
easy access to dive sites along a decent common road (access to, I say, not always so easy getting in the water, or out of the sand!)
the diving itself, of course; with a minimal current, phenomenal experiences at depths <60', and some varied topography from site to site
All in all it was just so worry free and low key with top notch diving on our schedule

All that said, should we expect the same from a trip to Curacao?"

The answer is YES!! Especially at All West Apartments and Diving!! Because staying there is all about diving freedom and a chilled out relaxed environment. There is a 24hr tank/locker room, every apartment has Seaview, BBQ's on site, etc...

Of course I am biased, but I truly love it!!

As mentioned, let me know how we can be of further assistance in your trip planning and we hope to see you soon!!

amw5g,
Never had anything stolen from either place. I am not sure what to say about crime but to imply its on Bonaire but not on Curacao is a bit of stretch to me. All West apartments is where I stayed and would recommend them highly. If I go back that is where I am headed. Just beware the diving is similar, the islands not so much in my experience.

Back
Top Bottom