love the boards, had to join the crowd!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well howdy Corsair & better half! There's lots us Texans in the diving world. As we like to say here, EVERYTHING is bigger & better here in the Lone Star State. Welcome aboard! (get it? board?)

ScubaDillo meetings are the first Thursday of the month at the Midway Point Restaurant immediately south of LBJ (635 freeway) on Midway Road. 6:30-7:30 is the social hour and then 7:30-9:30 is meeting time. They often have a nice raffle for some scuba and camping goods (Last month a $200 u/w camera was featured). And the do lots to bring in some very interesting guests, such as Bret Gilliam from the Technical Diving Institute (and featured contributor to Rodale's Scuba Diving Mag) and in August, the premier lawyer who would defend you against a wrongful scuba death charge.

I'll post some info on PK later on.
(That's Possum Kingdom Lake for the uninitiated :) )

Corsair, Welcome from Melbourne, FL Enjoy the board.

Arrrrr,
Hoist the mainsail and avast ye land-lubbers.Welcome to the boards Corsair from someone who IS NOT from Texas...which when I last heard was a 'state' and not a 'country' and wasn't entitled to it's own national anthem...lol
You texans...I don't know......

Haha Greg, LOL, too funny brother! For a guy whom calls himself 'Gasman' to be talking about breaking out the 'chili'... just brings tears to my eyes! :)

Just so happens I made a batch of my famous stick-to-your-ribs, light up your life chile last night. You know it's Texas homemade when your still tasting it next day.

Mike,

Not able to make the meeting because I have family visiting from out of state this week. Won't be able to make the Athens weekend deals until I finish my certification, which has been held up due to an injury. Doc says I should be able to get back in the water in a week or two.

Sooner or later I'll be hooking up with y'all.

Jimbo

All these posts about Texas make me so excited about moving there!
Giddy up!
:sunny:

Originally posted by Natasha
All these posts about Texas make me so excited about moving there!
Giddy up!

Now we just got to get Natasha to start saying "Howdy, Y'all!" and "Yup"

And remember, "Punching dem doogies" does not mean challenging a pack of dogs to a boxing match.

But seriously, where will you be landing and doing when you git here?

Welcome Y'all!!

STAY AWAY FROM THE DENTON SCUBA PARK!!! It's about 120' long by 30' wide by 15' deep with about 2" vis!(I'm serious - I could barely see my flashlight when I stuck it in my own face)

Your best bets are PK and Lake Whitney. PK has better vis and is deeper, but it's also colder and you pretty much need a boat to get away from the crowd. You can also try Lake Murray in Oklahoma, since you're up in Decatur. It's off I35 just north of the border . I don't know if they still have an air shop though - maybe one of our Red River Bros can help.

Whitney charges $5 + $5 for airfills. I'm not sure if PK charges since we always take a boat. Their airfills are $3-$5, depending on how much air you need. Athens ($25 + $5 air)is a clay pond that all the Dallas area shops use for thier OW cert dives. It's only 25' deep, but they have lots of cool stuff sunk there, a big jet you can swim through, a school bus, lots of boats, a couple of tunnels etc. All 3 places are run by real friendly folks.

Almost forgot! There's also an old missle silo out by Midland. They only open for groups, but lots of LDS do trips out there.

Enough rambling. (My dive buddy called to say he can't go this weekend and I'm jonesin' real bad)

Hope to see ya down under!! (No, not there, but that would be cool too)

Mike,
We'll be moving down next June. I have to wait for my son to graduate high school. Didn't know I was that old, right? Ha!
Well, we checked out Pearland Highschool for my other son who will be starting right when the other one gratuates.
It's a great school, so Pearland,TX will be our new home. It's about 35 minutes south of downtown Houston.
I'm hoping to start up my travel business again down there. I'm not sure what the market is yet though. Seems Texans stay in Texas, more then Chicagoans stay in Chicago. I hope I'm wrong about this!
But it is a great state and I can see why they don't want to leave. And Greg, yes, my husband (from Texas) always says it's, it's own country. And he makes great chili and deep fried turkey too. Yummy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom