LOVE my SpringStraps...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Recently (about 4 months ago) converted both my and my wifes quattros and jets to spring straps. Used manta on the jets and boogies on the quattros. Also tried manta's on the quattros but changed them to boogie's. Very pleased! Nonetheless, the downside, if not making them yourself, is $150 bucks later and several returns to the store to get straps of the correct length and style to go with 2 types of fins, (4 pair total) and a few waisted weeks of searching and researching and I am VERY happy. Be warned, spring straps are awesome but can be a pian to size and certainly to make for yourself unless you have tools and a good hardware store close by. I live in NYC and spent several hours in several hardware and home depot stores searching in vain for the right stuff. Good luck asking a guy who barely speaks eng;ish where the marine grade hardware is located...Have fun and good luck!

I had no problem making spring straps. McMaster car springs and stainless steel 1" S-hooks. Springs about $4 a piece S-hooks about $1.50. No string running thru and never have a distortion metal deformation problem like my buddy had with his commercially purchased spring straps. Just need a good pair of needle nose pliers to size the springs and pliers to cinch the S-hooks. No turning back once the S-hooks are cinched.
Also bend about 3 coils together to loop thru the S-hook. Get some plastic tubing also to make them easier to pull on and neater. Instructions are on the internet do a search.

can you post pics on how to put that together??

Mine are the EZ fins straps. They use the same attachment quick release as what came on the fins (Apollo biofins). They make a couple different models to fit different fins.

IMO even if you had to cut the post (like with the Apollo C Springs) once you dive these, you won't want to go back.

One thing I think is critical, which most homemade straps to not have, is the pull tabs on the plastic thingys that are covering the Spring doodles. I understand my description is highly technical, so if you don't understand what I'm taking about, find a photo at most any online DS of the EZ straps.

As for expensive, hardly IMO compared with what we dump on equipment, diving, traiing, etc...

Another vote here for the EZ fin straps. I got the pro model with SS attachments and used them for the first time a couple of weeks ago. These things rock!

RonFrank:
......One thing I think is critical, which most homemade straps to not have, is the pull tabs on the plastic thingys that are covering the Spring doodles.......
that's my point exactly!

RonFrank:
......One thing I think is critical, which most homemade straps to not have, is the pull tabs on the plastic thingys that are covering the Spring doodles.......
:11: that's my point exactly!

i've had manta springs for four years and i'll run right out and get another set when these go bad. i love them long time, joe!! i've got them on a set of volos. and while the volos are nice in a calm sea, they don't put out like a stiffer fin in a stronger current. (a whole nother post). but still, the mantas are great!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom