Love, Life and Relationships

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver0001

New
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I had an interesting discussion yesterday with my wife and a friend of hers who recently got divorced and is now single again..... and it got me to thinking.

Suppose, for some strange reason, I were to find myself single again.... how would I do things differently....

My wife and her friend laughed at me for saying that if I *were* single again that I would want to stay single.... My wife laughed the hardest (cruel chick that she is) saying that I would probably blunder my way into a new relationship without seeing it coming...

But seriously.... If I *were* suddenly single tomorrow.... there's just no way.... I mean I'm 42, not ugly but hardly a woman-magnet, and there's no way that I would start another relationship at this point with someone who doesn't dive.... and frankly, I don't know if I would have the energy to really get inside someone's soul again. Anyway you look at it, that takes time and it takes energy.....

So really, there's no hope.... I mean how many single, engaging, active, athletic, intelligent, interesting, independent women with "clear" personalities in their mid to late 30's who dive ARE there on this planet......? And of those... how many would take a number to get in the love-boat with me....? I mean... there really IS no hope.

So it all makes sense. If I had to start over... I'm going it alone. No matter how hard it makes my wife laugh.... I've priced myself out of the market. I wish a long life for my wife because if she dies tomorrow I'm going to be a very lonely guy...

Anyone else think about this kind of sh/t or am I the only one?

R..

Don't worry, you are not alone - there will be at least two of us at the loony farm. The other really weird thing I do is really agonise over "if I were on death row, what would I order for my last meal? (in the US, they will give you almost anything you want to eat for dinner just before they execute you - weird tradition)".

Rationally speaking, I suspect if I ever got divorced from my wife I'd be single for life; not so much through choice, but more because I have a demanding job and two kids (plus whatever time I have left going diving), so even in the event of a divorce, that is not going to leave much time over for finding someone new.

That said, I have two brothers-in-law who divorced, and as single dads said "never again", but then remarried later. I think humans are naturally social creatures, so whatever we say or do, we naturally tend to seek other companions.

Hope I never find out. My wife is a non-diver, but she is the flexible kind, so it actually works reasonably well on the diving front. I would love to be able to take 14 days off on my own and go and dive Truk Lagoon, but it is just never going to happen, so I just smile and remind myself that the glass is definitely half full and not half empty.

Must admit I look at it from the "other side." Being "single" (that is unmarried) all my life, I enjoy the freedom it grants me. I am at peace being by myself and have little trouble "entertaining" myself or keeping busy with meaningful (at least to me). But I do hope I have an opportunity to form a deep bond with a woman in the future.

A haiku-like poem I wrote years ago:

When I am alone
I am seldom reminded
of my loneliness.

It's good to know I'm in good company. Dr. Bill. You probably deserve a relationship like the one I have. I just hope I never need to write poetry like yours......

R..

I am in my early 50's. If I became signle again for whatever reason - I would not even consider dating until both of my kids were out and settled. Their needs would be mose important for the next few years.

Then - If the right person came along fine - but I don't think I would go a looking for someone "special"

how many single, engaging, active, athletic, intelligent, interesting, independent women with "clear" personalities in their mid to late 30's who dive ARE there on this planet......?

Dont worry, you will not be alone but if you were, there are women out there who fit your criteria. As you well know, all relationships take work and if you are willing to put in the effort, you would find the right one.

Now, as for me, I am still looking. One day my guy will come who is looking for a "single, engaging, active, athletic, intelligent, interesting, independent women with "clear" personalities in her mid to late 30's who dives" and he will find me. One day.
Barbara

This is fascinating to me! I love hearing men talk about this stuff....very interesting. My dad is 56 and in a similar position. I really feel for him. He really wants to find someone to love him for who he is and not what he has. Most of the ladies he's found lately are after money. It's very sad to watch. I hold out hope for him. Maybe I'm a romantic, but I believe there is love out there for everyone. I'm a newlywed though, so I may be biased!

PS....for those single older gentleman may I suggest my mom? Two time Miss South Africa winner, smart, hilarious, independent and very eager to learn to dive! LOL...look at me...pimping out my own mother on SB. I'm going to hell.

Now, as for me, I am still looking. One day my guy will come who is looking for a "single, engaging, active, athletic, intelligent, interesting, independent women with "clear" personalities in her mid to late 30's who dives" and he will find me. One day.
Barbara

If I were a guy, I'd total date you......just sayin' :wink:

I wish a long life for my wife because if she dies tomorrow I'm going to be a very lonely guy...

Anyone else think about this kind of sh/t or am I the only one?
No, not really.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom