Lotta different booties out there...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use felt bottom boots, and I think they are the best! They look funny, but they have the best traction of anything I have tried. Especially on algae covered rocks and steps. Plus, you don't feel any rocks or sharp objects on the bottom of your foot.

I had the TUSA Imprex boots, but they still were slippery (although, they did give protection from rocks) but felt bottoms are MUCH better! And, the felt doesn't seem to wear out, as long as you scrub it with a brillo pad after ever 10 dives or so.

The ones we carry are 3mm hightops, with rubber covered toes and heels and reinforced zippers. I know 3mm probably isn't thick enough for cold water divers, but check and see if you can get the felt boots in thicker neoprene. They are worth it!

I still think that giong with a thick sole booties will be your best choice.

I don't know where you are doing most of your diving, but a thick sole will make your life much easier when walking over anything harder than white beach sand.

When diving in places like the Red-Sea, thick soles are almost essential, as you have many things that can cut, bite, sting and/or burn your foot, either in or out of the water.

You'll find it very nice to use on a boat, especially when climbing back in.

I am also a 10.5-11 and have no problem fitting this over-sized thing into the right size (XL) open heel fin. Like everything else in life it takes a little bit of getting used to, but I think you'll find that it is worth it.

The cost of the booties is not something to go to the bank for, so I guess that in the worst case you'll sell them for a 20$ loss.

Try it. You will not regret.

Ari :D

If you already have your fins, take them with you when you go to buy boots to make sure they will fit in them. If you are buying both together, try them on together. That is your best bet if you are worried about fitting them into the foot pocket.

Good practical advice. Scubabunny is right. If you are planning to buy new fins, you will probably do better buying them as a set. this way you'll be dure everything fits.

If your are not buying new fins, get your old ones to the shop and try everything on together.

Ari :D

My boyfriend raves about his Henderson Gold Core booties. I have to admit- they are nice but they were a bit too rich for me at a time when I was buying a lot of gear at once. I figured I'd rather pay x-tra dollars for the Hyperstretch hood (and not get that choking feeling I got from other hoods) and save money on the booties. I went with the Tusa Imprex booties (for about half the price of the Henderson GC). I've only been using them for about 3 months so far, but I really do like them.

I LOVE the Henderson Gold because they NEVER SMELL! Really!

Ken

...but my favorites were some off brand that only cost about $15 but had a really thick sole. I have a pair of o'Neill's & Body Gloves that have thinner soles that I use on sandy beaches & boats.

To answer Zagnut's question, the same fins that fit over one pair of booties may not fit over another. For a man with a largish foot, the best option may be to choose the most comfortable & appropriate booty & get fins that work over those. The fin should fit snugly over the bootie, but not make you feel constricted at all.

Back
Top Bottom