Lost on Planet Deepblu: how to get divelogs from Cosmiq+ to Mac?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cosmiq stores last 25 dives without syncing. Once you have synced, the app holds all your logs with a backup to the cloud. You don't need internet access to get to your logs.

So if you're on a liveaboard and you drop your tank on your phone at the right moment, you can lose 25 of the 28 dives of the trip?

So if you're on a liveaboard and you drop your tank on your phone at the right moment, you can lose 25 of the 28 dives of the trip?
I guess so. If you dropped the computer overboard then same thing. Not sure why you would have your phone on the deck but yes its possible. Short of having a dive computer that auto uploads to the cloud via satellite every time you surface, there's always a way to screw it up.

If I was on a liveaboard for a couple of weeks, I would have my phone and my iPad with me (I read on it) as well as (probably) my laptop. I would sync the DC and phone and iPad in the evenings post diving then I would have no problem.

Oh and in your scenario, the last 25 dives would still be on the computer so I would lose 3/28 dives. I can live with that.

And, yes, I use Subsurface and one reason I use it and really like it is that I started using it with an Atom 3.0 and have continued to maintain the same log file, while transitioning through 4 additional computers (while still using the Atom). If I had to go into different log software for each different computer, that would royally suck!

I would not buy a computer that did not allow me to get the dive data out of it and into Subsurface, and I would discourage anyone that asks me about it from doing the same. Being locked into a proprietary platform absolutely sucks.

I think a standardized export format is the absolute minimum. I think publishing an interface protocol, so that 3rd party software can pull the dive data directly from the computer is really what's needed (in addition to an export capability). I want a one-step process to get the dive data from the computer into Subsurface. I would not want a 2-step process.

As a 3rd party logbook developer, I can't help but heartily agree :) But to be fair, the only reason that you are able to use your Atom 3.0 and possibly your other dive computers with Subsurface, is because many volunteers put in many hours reverse engineering the download protocol and the memory format, not because Oceanic (Pelagic Pressure Systems) helped in any way. So "Deepblu" and the Cosmic is no different in this respect. And in fact they too may be "reverse engineered" eventually too given enough time and interest.

If you or anyone else want to support a manufacturer that truly helps it's customers get their dive data out of the units and into non-proprietary 3rd party logbook programs like Subsurface, ours, and others, then you might want to buy one of their units instead. But Deepblu is the norm right now, not the exception.

Janice

Please give us a list of said manufacturers, in case that's a factor for anyone. Atomic Aquatics/Cobalt is one.

Richard.

There are rants, sorry, computer reviews from Linus and Dirk somewhere on subsurface website. As I recall OSTC and Shearwater are mentioned as "pleasure to work with".

Please give us a list of said manufacturers, in case that's a factor for anyone. Atomic Aquatics/Cobalt is one.

Just to be clear and explicitly state the obvious, I can only speak for our software, Dive Log/DiveLogManager/DiveLogDT. Atomic Aquatics, Heinrichs Weikamp, Liquivision, and Shearwater have been outstanding in their support. Ratio and Divesoft have also supported us by providing the needed information to decode their units.

Janice

Atomic Aquatics, Heinrichs Weikamp, Liquivision, and Shearwater have been outstanding in their support. Ratio and Divesoft have also supported us by providing the needed information to decode their units.

Lucky you :)
I have not had one helpful contact to a DC manufacturer in 12 years. Every single one I asked for information replied with "not gonna help, go away". Even had one company threaten me with a lawsuit. Must add though, that I only contacted those where I couldn't figure out the format myself, so there may be some good guys out there too.

Rainer

This is a true deal-breaker for me.

I'm looking for a simple computer at the moment and the Cosmiq+ fits most of my requirements. However, I will never again (did it once before with Sharkpoint) use a solution where your dive logs are locked into an app or cloud without any means of exporting log data in simple .csv formats (or UDCF). Same goes for importing other log files. A simple csv/UDCF export/import function is adequate for most situations until propriety file format support is added (I know they have Subsurface Import but it still requires you to have that program installed) .

I will (regretfully) stay away from the Cosmiq until Deepblu adds this feature. I've emailed them asking if this is planned, but no reply yet.

IMO Divelogs.de is a perfect example of cloud based dive logging with plenty of import and export functions.

Last edited:
Lucky you :)
I have not had one helpful contact to a DC manufacturer in 12 years. Every single one I asked for information replied with "not gonna help, go away". Even had one company threaten me with a lawsuit. Must add though, that I only contacted those where I couldn't figure out the format myself, so there may be some good guys out there too.

Rainer
Just spotted this thread, but feel free to contact me for information on Atomic's Cobalt computer and upcoming models. We have always had a policy of supporting third party developers.

-Ron

@ryanpatrickjones the goal is to be able to export the dive data into something like subsurface so you can track the logs. This should be fairly simple to implement on your side and would really help to allow this computer to become more widely accepted aside from the other feedback that I have given that seems to have fallen on deaf ears at your computer

I've just created the Deepblu Backup Tool for that very purpose. Hope it helps!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom