Lost on Planet Deepblu: how to get divelogs from Cosmiq+ to Mac?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kaaralex

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I used a Deepblu Cosmiq on a couple of dives as a bottom timer. Everything was fine underwater, cannot complain. (The only detail is that during practising deco, i could not find any timer showing seconds, I had to go by minutes, but after all, this is a rec diving equipment.)

When I tried to download the log to my Mac, that is when the headache started. Call me old-school, but what I want is a piece of simple SW which would just grab the data in the computer and transfer them to my Mac. However, not only that you cannot find any SW on Deepblu website. There is not even an information if there actually IS ANY way how to transfer the data to your computer.

What you are offered is an iPhone app. I installed and fired it. In order to read your diving data in your computer, you must register at some kind of diving social network. Why? I got Facebook for my social needs, and I am on Scubaboard to talk some more serious diving stuff. That is enough. You MUST even choose a picture of yourself. Why? I ONLY want to get the dive logs from the lil fella.

After this step, your logs are in your phone. But how to get them to your Mac? The data are now sitting under my new Deepblu account, I can play with them there, but there is no obvious way how to export them.

So my question to someone in the know would be:
Is it possible to export the dive logs from Cosmiq to Mac, and if yes, how?

thx and happy diving, online or not :)

It sounds to me like you want to export the raw data in some file format like an XML file?

This is not currently possible on Deepblu.

The data must be used to create a dive log either on the app or on the web platform. Your draft logs are accessible through mobile and desktop/laptop devices.

@ryanpatrickjones the goal is to be able to export the dive data into something like subsurface so you can track the logs. This should be fairly simple to implement on your side and would really help to allow this computer to become more widely accepted aside from the other feedback that I have given that seems to have fallen on deaf ears at your computer

@kaaralex I don't think the Shearwaters even count down seconds. I think you only get the 15 second chunks. I will have to check mine later, but I don't believe there is a second countdown. That said, full minute chunks are good enough for me, and 15 second chunks are perfect.

It sounds to me like you want to export the raw data in some file format like an XML file?

This is not currently possible on Deepblu.

The data must be used to create a dive log either on the app or on the web platform. Your draft logs are accessible through mobile and desktop/laptop devices.

ObPetPeeve: by now I've spent man-years of work time setting up sofware pipelines and interconverting the data between various packages. With that experience, I won't consider a product that does not produce disk file in a documented format. At least not one that I'd ever buy for my recreational use.

One concern another poster noted elsewhere is that over the years many people own a variety of dive computers and want one software dive log with all of it. For me, at Atom 1.0, Oceanic VT3, borrowed wife's VTPro a few times, Cobalt 1 and Cobalt 2. I use MacDive.

People who want AI and PC download capability may balk at a computer whose digital log data is exclusive.

Just offer a standardized export format and odds are 3rd party software makers will update their software to import it if need be.

Richard.

One concern another poster noted elsewhere is that over the years many people own a variety of dive computers and want one software dive log with all of it. For me, at Atom 1.0, Oceanic VT3, borrowed wife's VTPro a few times, Cobalt 1 and Cobalt 2. I use MacDive.

People who want AI and PC download capability may balk at a computer whose digital log data is exclusive.

Just offer a standardized export format and odds are 3rd party software makers will update their software to import it if need be.

Richard.

That may have been me. :)

And, yes, I use Subsurface and one reason I use it and really like it is that I started using it with an Atom 3.0 and have continued to maintain the same log file, while transitioning through 4 additional computers (while still using the Atom). If I had to go into different log software for each different computer, that would royally suck!

I would not buy a computer that did not allow me to get the dive data out of it and into Subsurface, and I would discourage anyone that asks me about it from doing the same. Being locked into a proprietary platform absolutely sucks.

I think a standardized export format is the absolute minimum. I think publishing an interface protocol, so that 3rd party software can pull the dive data directly from the computer is really what's needed (in addition to an export capability). I want a one-step process to get the dive data from the computer into Subsurface. I would not want a 2-step process.

I've had phenomenal tech support from Nick, at Mac-Dive. support@mac-dive.com
He may be able to help get the data into your Mac.
My Uwatec TEC2G displays seconds but doesn't play well with Mac-Dive. I'm downloading from my Shearwater Predator.

Different dive computers track dive info in different ways, store data at different intervals, and don’t necessarily keep track of the same types of data (multiple gases, alerts and warnings, violations, battery levels, stop times, etc.), so as good as it would be to have one, no real standard format for direct export has yet been created. Though many dive log apps can export in standard database formats.

As things are now communicating with an application either requires support from the computer manufacturer to aid the dive log developer, or for the developer to reverse engineer the communications (and hope the manufacturer doesn’t change things arbitrarily).

With the Cobalt we decided early on that we would work to actively support third party dive log programs. We always thought it would be better for users to have access to dedicated, feature rich dive log programs that could keep track of data from various computers rather than have company specific proprietary software that is probably less full featured. It’s a fact, though, that some consumers expect “free” software to come with any computer.

MacDive, Diving Log 6, Dive Log Manager, SubSurface, and Dive Log DT all seem to support a variety of computers and have been happy to work with us. I think these guys deserve support from the diving community.

Ron

I think there is a case for proprietary software, but not the dive log: as the computers get smarter and pack more features you start running into limitations of "watch-size screen and a couple of buttons" interface. At some point software to configure your dive computer from your laptop just becomes a lesser evil. However a phone with access to "the cloud" in order to look at the logs is way beyond reasonable in my book.

Cosmiq stores last 25 dives without syncing. Once you have synced, the app holds all your logs with a backup to the cloud. You don't need internet access to get to your logs.

Back
Top Bottom