Lost/Left at Sea!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm not sure exactly how loud the DiveAlert is, but I suspect it's pretty loud, since the instructions say to submerge, hold it out of the water and press the button so you don't damage your hearing.

I know it works because I got the attention of another "boat driver" that was looking off in the wrong direction for our group after a drift dive.

As for the safety sausage, get a big one. A 3 foot sausage in 5 foot waves isn't a huge help. Get the 9 or 10 footer for ocean use. You might get laughed at by the other divers on the boat for carrying it, but you'll be the most popular guy around if you ever need to deploy it in the water.

Terry

DandyDon:
Dive alert: http://s1059kxm.leisurepro.com/webapp/commerce/command/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=1209&prmenbr=946

Horrible story, but glad you're okay. You'll be a better diver for the experience... :wink:

Hey, Domino....

Who was the dive op?? I dive down there a lot and and I know Scubafriend and I and many others would like to know. I know PM's to both would be appreciated.

Regards,

What's really needed in this type of situation is a submergible pressure proof smoke flare. The military has the MK 13 mod 0 day / night emergency flare that is submergible but I am not sure to what depth and I don't believe it is available to the civillian market.
This is by far the best way to attract attention on the water.

Captain

captain:
What's really needed in this type of situation is a submergible pressure proof smoke flare. The military has the MK 13 mod 0 day / night emergency flare that is submergible but I am not sure to what depth and I don't believe it is available to the civillian market.
This is by far the best way to attract attention on the water.

Captain

I think one can buy flares that be carried in a BC. The problem is that the airlines and TSA would not want these packed in your luggage to take to the Caribbean.

They would have been neat, though. Shoot one at the deadhead boat driver! :flame:Even if you miss, it should get his attention... :bigun2:

DandyDon:
For my first dive trips, I'd just pack everything I owned. As my personal diver shop grew, I started using Divers Direct catlaogs to help me think. Now, after 3 years and a dozen trips, I finally have a check list to work with. I'm still grooming it some...
I particularly love the "Hypochondriac Bag" and I guess you have your own K-A to drink :wink:

I've downloaded and adapted a few different lists from this board. I find that just *having* the list helps as I'm still in the stage where I "write-in" an item or two each time I use it.

-Rob

rab:
I particularly love the "Hypochondriac Bag" and I guess you have your own K-A to drink :wink:

Anal-rententive, obsessive-compulsive, detail-oriented - they're all hypenated. But you oughta' see my brother I build a barb wire fence. Every post the same height, every post interval the same, every wire interval the same; look at a barb wire fence next time you see one and see the difference. Some people we call "slack wire ranchers."

Yes, I mix Kool-aid, with less sugar, adding 1/2 teaspoon of Motron Lite Salt to increase Sodium and Potassium intake.

Domino22's experience is exactly what we don't want to happen to us!

I'm off to Cozumel for the first time in August and several people have told me horror stories of boat errors there on the drift dives. A sub alert has just gone right to the top of my 'must buy' list.

To date I have always carried a Storm whistle, sausage and a signalling mirror.

I think you need a "Dive Alert". A "Sub Alert" only works underwater.

Terry

PS. They're *REALLY* loud. The directions say to submerge and hold it out of the water when you use it to prevent deafness.

Mike Newman:
Domino22's experience is exactly what we don't want to happen to us!

I'm off to Cozumel for the first time in August and several people have told me horror stories of boat errors there on the drift dives. A sub alert has just gone right to the top of my 'must buy' list.

To date I have always carried a Storm whistle, sausage and a signalling mirror.

Ahhhh, Utila,

memories of dog sh*t and broken beer bottles. Oh, and not to forget the height of Pirate cuisine, the ubiquitous Pig Fry.

Should post the recipe in the scuba chef forum?

Back
Top Bottom