Lost Gear in St.Lawrence- Wine & Snivel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

one Timex Ironman watch (nearly new, dammit) at the Rothesay during the OFWF get-together in July. Most likely lost in the shallows near the stairs. Oh well. I've lost 2 pairs of sidecutters in Superior, too but they're cheap. I've been lucky so far and caught up to my fins when they come loose.
I nearly lost my fins in June when someone picked them off the dock by mistake after a Zode trip. I'm not sure how they mistook my itty-bity M jets (with my name on the bottoms!) for their XL ones - maybe they were still narced :rolleyes:
I got my fins back by being stubborn and insisting that everyone unpack their gear to check for inadvertent souveniers :mean:

So you never did find it? I remember you cursing up a blue streak.

BTW: I met someone from your neck of the woods who thinks he might know you, he's an SSI instructor named Graham.

Coyote

So far, only one bullet weight. Them thangs roll fast!! Wasn't even me that lost it - I took it off my weight belt on purpose, and THOUGHT it was stowed away all neat as you please in my gear bag.......until my buddy inadvertently picked up my gear bag upside down. He didn't think too long about the slight 'sploosh' noise as he was leaving the dock............

Hello

I've never lost a thing while diving, I make sure my gear is properly placed in positions that do not allow for easy loosing. Lift bags on the other hand require divers with strong arms and plenty of skill, once inflated the waves and wind can drag her and you down river. I must also admit, that I have in my collection of found diving junk 3 watches, 13 computers, 6 dive flags, 31 mask with snorkels, about 200 pound in weight belts, 7 flippers, 2 OMS bottom timers, one Uwatec digital compass. I'm going to have my own scuba garage sale in Nov.

Happy diving

D M I

So far I've dropped a trim weight last year, but my buddy saw it fall and retrieved it. And I lost a dive flag and float. We were diving the JC Morrison late last year. Carried the flag out the rope to the wreck and then set it down while we explored so it wouldn't snag. A strong wind came up while we were under and when we came back to the rope no sign of the flag. I first suspected (my apologies :) ) some boater had grabbed it and we continued back to shore. When we surfaced, the flag was way out in the lake and moving East fast. I've been much more careful since replacing it. I have more weight on the line and either clip it to the guide rope if there is one or try to place it in rocks (or just keep towing it). Saw a small folding "grapple" type anchor for dinghies the other day and thought I might try that.

My dive buddy and I had just suited up to do a shore dive north of Port Huron... we had borrowed his brothers dive float (one of those nice ones with a big inner tube and canvas covers with handles, and a milk crate in the center)... anyways, we had stuck both pairs of fins in the center and started wading out into the water. When we got waist deep, my octo started to free-flow because I forgot to put in the scumball... well, I had not yet clipped the float to my BC and let go of it just for a second or two to get my octo properly situated... needless to say, since there was a strong offshore wind blowing that day, the float had put about 20 feet of space between it and me in that couple seconds... my dive buddy didnt even have time to react either. I tried to swim for it, but all the dive gear just slowed me down, so I took off my BC and handed it to my dive buddy and started to swim... it was just going too fast by then (if I had fins on I could have caught it... oooh the irony).

So all we could do was watch as both sets of fins and a dive float that wasnt ours drifted towards Canada... we figured it would hit land somewhere south of Grand Bend. Oh well... that was an expensive lesson to learn.... lol :D

Don't worry, it was tracked by the Dept of National Robbery, and all Duties, excise taxes, and all GST and PST were paid by the "finder".

The "free find", ended up costing him $685.43

Hi ms barbie!! I lost my dark purple Cressi fin earlier this year while on the Muskie. I think it's keeping company with Tom's Oakley's. I'm still hoping I may find it someday. I tried to sell the other one at the swap at Scuba in the Park and a guy said his girl friend lost one just the same and he was going to check the size. He didn't come back so I will just keep it for now. I also lost my goodie bag near Smith Island just as I was getting back in the boat. It had a cute little milk bottle and a couple of other bottles in it. Oh well,......Another reason to go for a dive!!!

havent lost anything yet, but i have found a compas, one of those little one that fit inside a boot. picked it up from inbetween 2 sponges right in front of my buddies face.:D

Almost lost a fin to the Muskie... Jumped in after it and wouldn't ya' know, I actually got it :)

I did sacrifice a Halcyon Pathfinder reel to a wreck in North Carolina - did that ever hurt... And then there was the one Pro-Plug that I lost at the quarry. Someone found it, but his wife threw it away. *SIGH*

I've only been diving for 7 years, so I'm sure that I have got plenty of stuff to loose in the years to come... As long as I bring myself back from each dive in as close to one piece as I can manage, I guess that should be good enough.

-Frank

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom