Lost diver found almost a year later

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dammit. When will divers learn to run a line ANYTIME and EVERYTIME they entere a place like that. Dammit!!

Hard to imagine what was left to find after all that time out there.

Sympathies go out to his family.

Dammit. When will divers learn to run a line ANYTIME and EVERYTIME they entere a place like that. Dammit!!

Yes, we should always be running a line in an overhead environment. However, we don't really know the circumstances of this tragedy. Also, if you aren't trained in overhead environments, you have no business being there. Tying off a line does you no good if you aren't using proper line procedures. This is a horrible thing to happen, but unfortunately, most deaths in Overhead environments are preventable by having...
Proper Training
Sufficient Gas
Proper lights
Proper use of guidelines.
Use of dive plan.
Proper buddy communication.

Yes, we should always be running a line in an overhead environment. However, we don't really know the circumstances of this tragedy. Also, if you aren't trained in overhead environments, you have no business being there. Tying off a line does you no good if you aren't using proper line procedures. This is a horrible thing to happen, but unfortunately, most deaths in Overhead environments are preventable by having...
Proper Training
Sufficient Gas
Proper lights
Proper use of guidelines.
Use of dive plan.
Proper buddy communication.

Yes, I agree with all of what you said. It's frustrating all the same as I think this was totally preventable.

Sad....

I can immediately think of 2 reasons.
Closure for the immediate family.
Authorities like to determine if foul play involved.

Perhaps a third reason....
The body may aid incident analysis thereby preventing others from getting into the same "situation"

This may be true... However, in some cases is is hard to justify risking more human life to recover someone who you KNOW is dead. It is not like someone being lost in the woods, where there is always a chance of survival. It would be interesting to see the statistics of search and recovery divers dying while trying to recover bodies in dangerous places. ie. caves, fast moving water, extreme depths. Had Sheck Exley not tied himself to his guideline before he died, how many would have died trying to recover his body?

Spoken like someone who doesn't know anything about SAR operations on land. We will continue to search so long as it can be done safely and there is still a reasonable chance of locating the person. Wreck penetration can be done safely and I can point you to a few dozen incidents where people have died trying to find people missing on land who were obviously deceased (or at least the chance of survival is so remote as to be negligible).

What I am saying is that... If someone is lost in the woods, they are assumed alive. If someone is lost in a wreck or cave, or generally anywhere under water, beyond their known gas supply, they are assumed dead.

I know that wreck penetration can be as safe as any other dive. I am talking about bodies stuck in extreme places.

Probably none because you are generally (from my admittedly limited experience as a public safety diver) talking about extremely qualified people going after the body. The risk can be mitigated by the right team and the right approach. You make it sound like that any attempt to recover the body was bound to kill a member of the team.

The dive in question here that killed Sheck Exley was a dive to set a world record for depth. He was attempting to dive to 1000'. Sheck knew that this dive was an extremely high risk dive. That being said, anyone attempting to recover the body, had he not tied himself off to the guideline, would also be attempting a record depth (or near record), also likely to kill the rescuer.

Most of the public safety diver deaths that I am aware of have occurred in conditions that you would normally see recreational divers operating in. Quite a few of them occur during training dives and not as a result of actual searches. If it's beyond recreational dive limits or if it's excessively rough water, generally we just wait for the body to surface as a result of the gas produced by decomposition. At least this was the policy of the team I worked with and other teams may have differing standards for declining a case.

As a former RCMP S&R diver had told me, if the body was deeper than around 100', after the gases caused the bodies to rise, they would expand on ascent, cause the body cavities containing the gasses to burst and then sink again, never coming back up. Bodies shallower, would generally come all the way up.

That is a little overly optimistic since the best lesson that can be learned is don't go into that situation unless you are extremely qualified to do so and that doesn't require the body to learn. In some ways, a missing diver under those circumstances is a better warning because we can all imagine the torment it would be for our families if we were missing.

What I am saying is that... If someone is lost in the woods, they are assumed alive.

That's not always correct. There are quite a few searches carried out where we know with reasonable certainty we are looking for bodies and not live people. A missing small aircraft is a good and rather common example of this, especially in the western US. We still risk our butts and the Civil Air Patrol loses someone about every other year in a search for a missing plane.

Another good example is the Alzheimer's patient who wonders away from home during the winter and is missing for two to three days. We continue the search even though the probability of survival is so low that it is a recovery operation beyond the first twelve hours. I use this second example because the last of several searches I took part in, was looking for the grandmother of a friend of mine.

The dive in question here that killed Sheck Exley was a dive to set a world record for depth. He was attempting to dive to 1000'. Sheck knew that this dive was an extremely high risk dive. That being said, anyone attempting to recover the body, had he not tied himself off to the guideline, would also be attempting a record depth (or near record), also likely to kill the rescuer.

I did not know the circumstances of his fatal dive. My assumption was that it was a normal wreck dive gone wrong. If that was the case and I was charged with leading the recovery, I would have advocated for the use of an ROV if one were available and the family was willing to pay for it. If he was really deep, then whomever went down to recover him needs to have his head examined.

As a former RCMP S&R diver had told me, if the body was deeper than around 100', after the gases caused the bodies to rise, they would expand on ascent, cause the body cavities containing the gasses to burst and then sink again, never coming back up. Bodies shallower, would generally come all the way up.

I can only speak of two cases where the water was >100 feet deep that I have been involved with. Both involved the same flooded quarry (which is now surrounded by a very tall fence and anyone caught on the property will go to jail) that is approximately 120' deep in the middle and in both cases the bodies were recovered several weeks after they went missing when they began to float.

Technically what you were told could be correct, but then again it is more likely that those bodies at greater depth tend to decompose at a slow enough rate (due to colder temperatures at depth) that they don't form enough gas at any given time to begin to float. Well, let me rephrase that.....at least not all the way to the surface...I've encountered one that was "hovering" a few feet off the bottom of a lake. That's the crap that haunts me to this day.

As for the rupturing of the body cavities, I can't say that is actually due to the gas pressure building up or changing as the body ascends. In the area was did dive recoveries in, we have a major problem with snapping turtles doing a considerable amount of damage to bodies that were down for any length of time so I would assume other areas would have a similar problem with anthrophagia which could explain the lack of floaters.

What ever actually caused his death it is still a very sad event and now that his remains have been recovered his family has closure to the case! My sympathy goes out to the family!
I really do not think that this is the correct place for negative coments as there is a chance that some members of his family might be looking in ad what they do not need to here is a lot of if's and but's from other people who do not know the full circumstances!
Please give it a break for the families sake!

Back
Top Bottom