Lost camera & strobes, end of Colombia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have one as well. It's just a cheap bookstore plastic one with a hole drilled through the handle for a lightweight cotton line that I tie to a D ring on the BC. I use it a lot on dives like Colombia Shallows where there is little to no current and the coral heads soar to within 6-8 feet of the surface.

One thing I found out, though. Plastic and glass lenses do not magnify nearly as much in water as they do in air because of the difference in refractive index between air and water. That's why corrective lenses for dive masks are always affixed to the inside surface of the the faceplate.

What magnification lens do you use? I would think a minimum of 4x but maybe more?
Thanks - M²
:cheers:

I researched this when I was looking to add a gauge/computer reading lens to my dive mask. I had to add it to the outside of my mask since the mask was already vision corrected with full sized lenses on the inside surfaces and the lenses I could get were flat on one side. A little drop of clear silicone aquarium sealer holds it on. I figured a +2 diopter would work, and on my bench it worked fine, but when I got in the water the added lens did practically nothing.

Come to find out, the difference in refractive index between a curved lens surface and the ambient fluid (air or water) determines how bent the light rays are when they pass through the interface, i.e., how much the lens magnifies the image. Air is the standard with a RI of 1.0. seawater's RI is about 1.35 and that of glass is about 1.5. Seawater and glass are so close to each other that the diopter of a glass lens in water is reduced by about a factor of 4. I needed a lens with a diopter of about +8 for it to work in water like a +2 lens in air. That's why corrective lenses are typically on the inside of a dive mask; the curved side of the lens needs to be in air for it to work like your eyeglasses Rx.

That concludes tonight's lecture on optics. :D

the diopter of a glass lens in water is reduced by about a factor of 4

Excellent lecture on optics, but I'm curious where you got the factor of 4.

Excellent lecture on optics, but I'm curious where you got the factor of 4.
On line I found an equation or a chart (I don't remember which; it was a couple of years ago) that related diopter to either the difference or ratio (again, I do not remember which) between the refractive indices of media. It might have been simply a comparison of differences, i.e. glass minus air is 0.5 and glass minus water is 0.1-0.15 (depending on the type of glass and the salinity of the water), or three to four times less. Boost the diopter by that amount to compensate. Whatever is the math behind it, it worked.

Wow! The things I have learned on SB.

Picked up one of these when I had my prescription mask done:
Retractable Magnifier
Overpriced, but it does the job - it does make small things look bigger - and was easy to buy. :wink:
Except for the retractor it looks just like the one I made myself for less than five bucks.

I've posted this before...My wife & I carry these... POCKET MAGNIFIER
I run a piece of monofilament through the little hinge and make a loop for clipping to a double ender. The cover protects from nicks & bangs (and makes a nice handle). I thought the little hinge would rust out after a year, but we've had the same ones for over 4 years. @Doc turned me on to them. Great conversation starter on a dive boat. Folks always ask me, "What's that tear drop thing clipped on your rig?" :) BTW, you really need one if you dive with Julio. :shocked:

Last edited:
I've posted this before...My wife & I carry these... POCKET MAGNIFIER
I run a piece of monofilament through the little hinge and make a loop for clipping to a double ender. The cover protects from nicks & bangs (and makes a nice handle). I thought the little hinge would rust out after a year, but we've had the same ones for over 4 years. @Doc turned me on to them. Great conversation starter on a dive boat. Folks always ask me, "What's that tear drop thing clipped on your rig?" :) BTW, you really need one if you dive with Julio. :shocked:

Nice price, too:)

Nice price, too:)

Yeah, you can pay more for S&H than the loupe (like a lot of "seen on TV stuff" lol). I bought a handful thinking I would eventually need them, but over time I've ended up giving them away to dive buddies & DMs.

Back
Top Bottom