Lost Camera - Cayman Islands (Big Tunnels)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

miadukes

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi everyone, I am not sure if this is the right place and I KNOW this is a long, VERY long shot but...
Went diving in Cayman Islands this past Sunday, we were diving the site called Big Tunnels on the west end and our camera slip out of our hand (wrist technically). Probably between 80-100ft down.
I sincerely don't think it will ever be found but since stranger things have happened.
Of course this was one of the very few times I was unprepared as far as I had no picture of our contact information in case it was lost.

In any case, we believe it slipped out under one of the passageways so maybe it didn't just float out to sea, but who knows.
Either way, i figured a long shot I would post and put it out there.

The camera in question is an Intova Edge X (they sort of look like a go pro sized but with a bigger black casing) with a red filter and a red floating wrist handle.
If you find it, I just really want the pictures!!...you can keep the camera if you want it!.... i would love to have the pics as it was my first deep dive 100ft+ after getting certified (dive #18 for me!! yay!).
The memory card would also have pics of our hotel room and the dive from the Kittiwake site from two days before.

thanks!!!

You might want to ask to have this post moved to the Cayman Islands thread.

Also have you contacted the op you used? They should be able to generate a list of all of us especially if they are a member of CITA which is required if they took you to The Kittiwake. Might be your best chance if all the DMs knew to keep an eye out for it. I will let my guys know.

Also have you contacted the op you used? They should be able to generate a list of all of us especially if they are a member of CITA which is required if they took you to The Kittiwake. Might be your best chance if all the DMs knew to keep an eye out for it. I will let my guys know.
We let the dive master and the guy on the boat know although I doubt they would remember who it belonged to if they found it. We used Redsail Sports out of the resort because it was so convenient and a short ride to both spots.
Just to clarify, we did not loose it on the Kittiwake, we lost it somewhere on the Big Tunnels site about 80-100 feet down, I think my b/f said he was going under one of the arches or something and he didn't notice it slipped out of his wrist, I looked around for a second after he noticed but our group was calling for us and we didn't want to loose them. And in the end, it's just a camera and I would not want to loose our guide over it!! But i was super bummed about the pics.

ETA: do you think it's worth it to contact them know even 4 days later just in case it ever gets found, they would know?

Sorry you lost your camera but:

1) With only 18 dives, maybe diving with a camera isn't such a good idea as there is a real potential for task overload. i would suggest getting a few more dives under your belt before diving with a replacement camera.
2) A lanyard would have prevented the loss.

Sorry you lost your camera but:

1) With only 18 dives, maybe diving with a camera isn't such a good idea as there is a real potential for task overload. i would suggest getting a few more dives under your belt before diving with a replacement camera.
2) A lanyard would have prevented the loss.

Thanks for the response however, I didn't lose it, my partner did. He is actually very experienced but is not as worried about a camera as he was about me (although I feel I dive very safely and feel that I am doing ok as I advance and learn) he is still more concerned with my whereabouts and me than about a camera we can replace. So he just let it be and re-joined the group.I actually only took the camera for a few pics of him and then gave it right back to him. And yes, like everything in life, lesson learned, I will have one of those lanyard clips next time.

ETA: On our Kittiwake dive, I didn't touch the camera once. It was my first time going into anything so I was more concentrated on all of that than worrying about pics, altho at least since he had it, I have some pics of that.

I would contact Red Sail and ask them at the office. They probably have a lost and found and with the number of cameras, Go Pros, etc that turn up you might be surprised. Offering a little incentive could be very worthwhile!!!

I would contact Red Sail and ask them at the office. They probably have a lost and found and with the number of cameras, Go Pros, etc that turn up you might be surprised. Offering a little incentive could be very worthwhile!!!
Thanks yes, I took your advice and emailed and they just got back to me. Like I always say, you never know!!
And yes, I really mean it, all I want is my memory card and heck if it's found, they can keep that too and just dropbox me the photos LOL

I hope you find it! I'm so sorry to hear that you lost it. :(

Cetacea makes an excellent coil lanyard with a brass bolt snap that I use for my camera rig. I highly recommend it. :)

I hope you find it! I'm so sorry to hear that you lost it. :(

Cetacea makes an excellent coil lanyard with a brass bolt snap that I use for my camera rig. I highly recommend it. :)
Thanks! When I look into replacing the camera I will definitely look into this lanyard. The camera is like a go-pro style so not very big so it never occurred to me that it would "go away" LOL enough to coil it but guess things happen for a reason!
Funny part is I had forgotten to pack my memory card and was going to pop the one from either my phone or tablet into it to use but I didn't have that little thing you open the phone trays with so we just purchased a new card (an OVERPRICED! new card lol) at the hotel store, but man am I glad I did that! that way I didn't loose the ones from my electronics with much more stuff on them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom