Looky, Looky - I went diving. I mean fishing. I mean diving.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Raven C

Reaction score
Some of you may remember that I posted about going diving a few months ago and that I caught a fish with my bare hands. Well, my mother took the pictures and I have been eagerly waiting to get copies. Today, I got some computer printed photos of my fish in the mail.

Here are some of the pictures I scanned into my computer. They are poor quality at best but you will get the gest of it. This fish was so big and heavy. I remember when I grabbed hold of it, it tried to swim away and it was hard for me to hold on to it. It was way to big for my catch bag so I swam with it in my arms like a baby til someone donated their catch bag. It was the biggest bag any of us had and 1/3 of the fish still stuck out of the bag. LOL

After the dive I took it to show my mother. She took pictures of my fish and I sent it home to my grandfather a/k/a Papaw because he was a fisherman and he and I went fishing, camping, berry hunting, etc together when I was a little girl. He even taught me how to play baseball with the boys. Heehee.

He was tickled to death and now he tells all his friends how his granddaughter caught this fish with her hands while diving in Myrtle Beach. Then he pulls out the ragged picture of me in his chest pocket and flashes it around. He's my biggest fan. Love you Papaw.

Well, I thought I would show you all my "big" catch while diving. The top photos are me holding it up and the bottom pictures are to give you a reference as to size. My foot is approx. 10 1/2 inches long. I will never forget catching that fish with my hands. I am sure it will probably never happen again. That's a pretty big fish even if it were caught by a fishing rod.

Ok lobster hunters can you do this? R

PS don't look at me in the pictures, look at the fish - remember it was a diving day. The medusa dive hair is tucked under the hat. Hahaha

I wondered if that story was one of those "fish stories":wink:

Looking at that fish I dont think I would have tried to wrestle it up. nice catch... literally.

I tried to find the orginal story you wrote so others here could see it but I gave up trying.... to many posts!:wink:

LOL, that is cute and i'm sure your "Papaw" is VERY proud of his little baby for many reasons. thanks for sharing this with us.

steve

mgri once bubbled...
I wondered if that story was one of those "fish stories":wink:

Looking at that fish I dont think I would have tried to wrestle it up. nice catch... literally.

I tried to find the orginal story you wrote so others here could see it but I gave up trying.... to many posts!:wink:

Is this what you are talking about? The original post about catching the fish? It was buried in another thread.

Raven wrote:

After the surface interval, we put on our gear and entered the water. Signaled “OK”, “Divers Down” and in my mind I was questioning should I have put on my second suit for more mil to be comfortable. I thought it more and more as I sank into the darker water and the thermal cline seemed to be much colder this time than the last. The water temp was about 68 degrees but once on the bottom and swimming around, I wasn’t cold at all. We got to the bottom and the gauge read 63 ft. I knew that my buddies did not have much time as they used almost twice as much air as I did on the first dive and they stated that they used a good bit of air usually. On the boat, I figured we had between 15 and 20 minutes on the bottom. That really sucks when I am used to having 45 minutes on regular hair at that depth. But you can only stay as long as the shortest buddy time - then you go. Right away there were large grouper everywhere. There seemed to be more large fish on this side of the ledge. As we swam along, I noticed one grouper very still near the bottom. I slowly approach and as I did, I put my hand out in front of me so I would not make any sudden moves to scare the fish off. When I was inches away, he started to slowly swim away and at that moment, I reached out and grabbed the fish by the tail. He tried to take off on me. My grin was so big that my mask began to leak a little. He was very strong so I grabbed on with my left hand. He tried to swim so I cradled him in my left arm and held him close to my body. I wasn’t really expecting to catch this fish but now that I had, I was quickly trying to decide - let him go or grill him up. I thought, this is a big fish and I caught it with my own two hands. No one would believe this story even if I had two witnesses so this one is going home with me. He was too big for my catch bag so I held on to his tail with my right hand and held him close to my body with my left. After a few minutes, Buddy 2 pulled out a large catch bag that was barely big enough for the fist to fit inside and we pushed it down in the bag and pulled the string to close the top. I looked at my watch and we were about 10 minutes into the dive so I signaled to them both to turn around and head back. I positioned my compass and we navigated back to the anchor line.

Yes Steve that's one story he'll be talking about for a long time. He said that was the best fish he ever ate. LOL R

Congratulations! That is definitely a nice catch with your bare hands. Good job, great feat. :)

Thanks.

Sorry, RavenC, I don't think this can actually count as a fishing story unless you also tell us about the one that got away. LOL

Anyway, nice job!

As for you papaw, as the Firesign Theatre would have said, "There was something fishy about that guy. I think he was a Pisces, probably working for scale."

WileEDiver once bubbled...
Sorry, RavenC, I don't think this can actually count as a fishing story unless you also tell us about the one that got away. LOL

I am sorry but none got away. LOL I couldn't have handled more than one. Hahaha

As for you papaw, as the Firesign Theatre would have said, "There was something fishy about that guy. I think he was a Pisces, probably working for scale."

That's soooo bad. Hahaha R

Back
Top Bottom