Looking to replace my Regulator, what bands and models to consider?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you're asking us for regulator advice, I doubt whether carrying your own service kits makes any sense at all for you.

It makes sense in the rare event you need service parts while on vacation. You can get a local technician to service the regulator.

Reactions: mdb
It makes sense in the rare event you need service parts while on vacation. You can get a local technician to service the regulator.

Good post-the spare parts kit for every reg sold is exactly the point-any local tech, anywhere can then service the reg.

Regulators aren’t really all that complicated, for travel I just bring a spare.

Reactions: mdb
I carry my spare hoses wrapped around a spare first and second stage.

I’ve been diving with an Aqualung Legend LX for three years and have been very pleased with it. I, too, intend to make this my last reg as I’m 59. I dive mostly SOCAL (cold water) with yearly vacation trips to warmer water such as Hawaii. I also don’t dive deeper that 90ft, although I do get down to that depth fairly often diving the Yukon in San Diego.

For my aging eyes, I needed a high vis color display on a dive computer. I went with the Mares Icon HD and it has performed flawlessly. Never a question on how much air I have with it’s high vis graphic “scuba tank” display. I am now spoiled by the integrated air function and it would be tough to not have one ( I dive with an SPG backup). I think you have a lot of great options available to you, but the Legend and the Icon HD have worked well for me.

I just upgraded from entry level HOG regs to a newer Scubapro mk25evo and s600. I was always happy with my Hog's but they would breather a little wet at certain angles. The Scubapro is dry at any angle and my SAC rate has gone down noticeably. Very happy with this combination and it breathes with no effort whatsoever.

Computer wise, love my Oceanic Pro-plus 2.1. Huge numbers, air integrated, and easy to read. Nitrox setting takes less than 20 seconds. A little older model, but it's the only piece of equipment I started with that I have not upgraded.

Good luck,
Jay

I, too, intend to make this my last reg as I’m 59.

You have at least two more decades of diving, I am sure you will need to upgrade to a better and newer regulator in 2 - 3 years :)

Pretty happy with my SP MK17 Evos with G260. Maybe try them out if you're a fan of diaphgram regulators.
Apeks DST with XTX50 seems pretty good as well, though I went with SPs in the end to take advantage of their worldwide available servicing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom